Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: March FasTrack is up!

Dick, and sorry to take this even further afield, but the concept of the tuner crowd and the percentage of infiltration thing has me thinking.

Is there a growth number that the SCCA is looking to acheive? How much is too little, and how much is too much? Has there been any thought given to an "ideal" level?

I have to think that the future of the club is, of course, in the youth, but I would be interested to hear how that might be managed.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    I wonder about the old "racing improves the breed" concept these days. I just don't think it realy is the case anymore. I think there is a much more symbiotic relationship between automotive racing, and automotive building.
    And that "symbiotic relationship" was established by racers who found better ways of doing things (even at our level) before the factories even cared. (e.g., I'm sure wings and air dams were Detroit beancounters' ideas of how to design cars.)

Jake, if I stated the sky was blue most of the time, you would swear it was green.

GRJ

Originally posted by evanwebb:
    How about this: I believe all motorsports (and certainly all amateur motorsports) are basically pointless, except of course for having fun. So, if you decide your fun thing is road racing (which I totally dig) or rallying (which I totally dig) or autocross (which is pretty cool to me, but now quite my thing) or drag racing (which is pretty cool becuase of the whole noise and fumes things, but otherwise I don't find all that interesting) or drifting (which I think is silly), what does it really matter? Just do what you like and have fun.
    Amen!

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    Dick,
    The import tuner crowd is estimated at 7.5M? Figured it was big, but not that big.
    yes that is what the SEMA guys were claiming.

G.Robert, how does a bunch of amateurs racing 10 to 30 year old cars improve the breed of anything? It doesn't. And people of all ages drive badly on the street more as a result of just being ignorant of traffic laws than as a result of not having sufficient car control.

All I'm saying is, let's just try to get past the attitude of superiority about road racing vs. drifting or whatever the current fad is.

Originally posted by evanwebb:
    G.Robert, how does a bunch of amateurs racing 10 to 30 year old cars improve the breed of anything? It doesn't. And people of all ages drive badly on the street more as a result of just being ignorant of traffic laws than as a result of not having sufficient car control.

All I'm saying is, let's just try to get past the attitude of superiority about road racing vs. drifting or whatever the current fad is.
    There's a great deal more to the "improving the breed" story than anyone wants to listen to here, Evan. And if I came off sounding "elitist," I'm sorry. I think I said that. Have a good year.

GRJ