Edit: I'm rewriting my whole response to get it all in one place. Take it if you will, or don't. I don't care; my brakes are too large to reduce wheel diameter (dammit).

Darin sez "There is no need to rewrite the whole damn thing...'. Yes there is, Darin. It's bulky, it's awkward, it's tacked-on, and it's way out of date. It's a rule that's been hacked and plastered-upon for 20+ years and is way overdue for an overhaul. The result of this hacking (it reminds me of a trailer house that's been planted and had multiple additions over 20 years) is that it's just flat not clear what's legal and what the intent is. It breaks the cardinal rule of "Reasonable people can disagree."

Remember, the more words you use, the more words there are to twist around. Thus, the ones you do use should be used sparingly and precisely.

So, what is the intent of this new wheel rule? Is it:
- Allow anyone using metric wheels to move to a comparable standard wheel, and
- Allow someone with 12 inch wheels to move to 13, and
- Allow anyone using 12 inch, metric, 13, and 14 inch wheels to go a larger diameter but 15 inches max, and
- Require any car that uses 15- or 16-inch wheels to retain stock size?

Is this the intention of this rule? Is there anything I have omitted or added? If this is correct, then consider the following:

- First, a casual review of the ITCS shows that there are zero (ZERO!) cars listed with metric wheels. None, nada, zilch, zippo. Thus, all references to metric wheels in the rules is redundant and should be stricken in their entirety. If, in the future, you should choose to classify a car that uses metric wheels, these allowances can be added to the cars' spec lines as is other allowances.

Step one: strike all references in the ITCS 17.1.9.D.7.a.1 to metric wheels.

- Second, there are zero (ZERO!) cars listed in the specs with 12" wheels that are 12" only. Those with 12" wheels are listed as "12/13", thus allowing them to use 13" wheels anyway. All references to 12" wheels in the rules are redundant and should be stricken in their entirety. If, in the future, you should choose to classify cars that use 12" wheels only, the 13" allowance can be added to the cars' spec lines.

Step Two: strike all references in the ITCS 17.1.9.D.7.a.1 to 12" wheels.

Therefore, what we are left with is the desire to allow cars with 13" wheels to use 13", 14", or 15"; cars with 14" to use 14" or 15"; and cars with 15" and 16" wheels to use stock diameter. Do we really need a 40-pound sack of words to describe this 16-ounce desire?

Let's combine our ideals from above, make it precise, make it short, and make it effective. Strike paragraph in its entirety and make it:

All vehicles shall retain stock wheel diameter, except those listed with 13- or 14-inch wheels may increase their wheel diameter to a maximum of 15 inches. Wheels must be made of metal. Knockoff/quickchange type wheels are prohibited.

Voila! I just don't see how we can get more accurate and to the point that that, guys. Three sentences, three restrictions, no waiting...

There's my contribution, and I'm done. I'm going back to the garage and continue stuffing that Cray supercomputer into my spherical bearings...

[This message has been edited by GregAmy (edited January 31, 2005).]