I'm looking for some experiences in regards to installed locations of fuel cells.

2003 ITCS 17.1.4.D.10.b reads, "The stock fuel tank may be replaced with a fuel cell. The fuel cell shall be located within twelve (12) inches of the original fuel tank location...See GCR Sections 17.12 and 19. for requirements."

17.12.4, Bulkhead, states, in part, "There shall be a metal bulkhead between the driver/passenger compartment and the compartment containing the fuel cell."

17.12.5, Location, states, in part, "Fuel cells shall be located within twelve (12) inches of the standard tank...The twelve (12) inch measurement is taken from the perimeter of the stock AND alternative [sic] fuel cell.

Two basic questions:

- Location: does this location rule from 17.12.5 also apply to IT, and if so does this perimeter also include the flanges of the tank and cell?

- Bulkhead: does the encasing steel metal container in which the fuel cell bladder exists suffice to meet the 17.12.4 bulkhead rule?

- Fuel Filler: if yes to the bulkhead query, is it allowed to have the fuel filler neck/cap inside the hatch of the car without an additional bulkhead or access hatch?

My reasons for trying to find direct experiences is because, obviously, we will be adding a fuel cell to the car. I have yet to make a final decision on size and manufacturer, but it will most likely be mounted aft of the rear axle line, right about where the spare tire well is now. Given no need for quick-fills, I'd like not have to make an additional bulkhead on top of it (mine's a hatchback car with no seats or vertical plates between the spare tire area and the driver.) Finally, I'd like to have the filler cap easily available from within the hatch.

One other consideration is the ATL Well Cell, a round one that fits into the spare tire hole. I need to learn more about this item, as I understand there is no metal enclosure for it.

Experiences are appreciated, good or bad.

Greg