Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air intake heat shields

Originally posted by racer-025:
    It definitely says that I can remove the resonator.
    Is it still "stock" once you do that?

thats where I think the "grey area" is. I think tech would have to make a decision one way or the other - its a tough call. It definitely says that I can remove the resonator, thus leaving an open air intake exterior of the engine compartment.

Does anyone from SCCA Kansas want to pipe in here and make a call?

That's not how the system works and, even if they did, it wouldn't be anything besides another member's opinion.

I'm with Geo et al. on this: It's clear as a bell the way it's written and pulling air through that hole is not within the rule.

K

A classic case of the subconsious mind reading the rules in a way that makes sense as it will benefit the conscious mind!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Are you saying that you can't just remove the resonator box in this example? (Not talking about moving the air filter where that once was.)

If you are, I'm a bit confused with the way I read the rules.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

I don't think there's anything wrong with removing the resonator. The final source of intake air could even be right next to the resulting hole if we wanted - as long as it was within the engine compartment.

K

OK....

So... you can remove the resonator. Hey, if it says you can, you bloody well can. However, that sentance can be over ruled by any other rule that places a limitation on it. That rule is the one that says air must be sourced from under the hood or the stock location. That is clearly not the stock location for the air source and that source is clearly not under the hood.

So, what do you do if you remove the resonator? Well, you will just have to block it off because there is zero none nada zip allowance for using it to source air from an illegal location.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

The book says in section D,1,c, "Air intake source shall be within the confines of the engine compartment or stock location". It also says, "Air intake hoses, tubes, pipes, resonators, intake mufflers, housings, etc,.....may be removed or substituted". There are only two possibilities.

The second quote that allows you to remove or substitute the resonator only allows for just that. You can remove it, or replace it with something that performs the same funtion.

Secion D starts by saying, "No permitted componant/modification shall additionally perform a prohibited function".

If removing your resonator opens up an alternate air intake that is not one of the two allowed by the first quote, the only way you can remove the resonator is to plug the resulting hole in your intake system to avoid the prohibited funtion.

I think that placing anything outside that opening to filter or even direct air through the hole the resonator was in is outside the intent of the rules. I think that you can leave the new hole in the fender well that may exist from the allowed removal of the resonator without covering it, it just cannot direct air into your intake.

I work tech, and while our primary job is to verify safety, if bought to my attention I would provide the owner with information as stated above. If the car was protested, that is how I would decide it, but protests go through several people (stewarts) at an event so it would not be totally my call.

The rule says ". . . stock location . . .". It also says you may remove or substitute. If the stock air intake was from the back bumper and it came to the engine compartment through a soda straw, you may replace the soda straw with a larger duct, and still source air from the back bumper - as it is the "stock location". The rule doesn't say anything about invalidating the location because of having removed or substituted an allowable component.