Thread: 2 inch tow eyes in log book

Default 2 inch tow eyes in log book

Just finished my second school and got an annual tech on the car. The tech guy put in my log book that I needed two tow eyes on my car, as this is a new rule for 2005.
    I looked it up on the GCR and it says it is "recommended" for improved touring cars.
    What do you think I should do? Just go ahead and get some tow eyes installed?
    matt

They're required via emergency GCR revision procedure.

http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/0105...rulechanges.pdf

Revision to 17.31, effective 01/01/05 eliminates the optional status on IT cars.

Notification per 1.2.2.C (". . . will be posted to the website and sent to Chief Stewards . . .").

------------------
    Norm - #55 ITA, '86 MR2. [email protected]

The fun thing about that revised rule is that cars with exposed roll bars (Production as an example) need not have the 2 inch tow loops because the workers will attach the tow strap from the roll bar & drag the car DEEPER into the pea gravel so that a lift truck is required to get the car out.

& please don't challenge my comment because I viewed that exact same item at last years Runoffs in China sea. It don't take a real bright person to figure out what happens with pea gravel & a high tow anchor. Shall we say it becomes a see saw. EDIT: Teeter Totter......... You older folks know what I mean. I hope......

Have Fun
    David

[This message has been edited by ddewhurst (edited January 18, 2005).]

Thank you for the link, I didnt see that on the SCCA website.
    matt

Originally posted by ddewhurst:
    [B]... It don't take a real bright person to figure out what happens with pea gravel & a high tow anchor. ...
    Dive, dive - all dive! I can totally see that happening.

I'm reminded of the VERY first race that I ever worked, doing hot pulls with my Dad's pick-up during a practice session, at an ICSCC race in Seattle, c.1981...

We flat-dragged this Sunbeam Tiger in with the strap wrapped around the top of a full cage, above the windscreen. As we were coming up the hill to T8, I could see the cage deforming, as it was pulled crooked by the force of the pull. Twisted it probably 5" off of square.

We dropped him off and scampered away.

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited January 18, 2005).]