Dick:
I am inclined to agree with the general principle here. Actually, as I read it, the rules do allow one to add to the existing harness and repair it using material that conforms to the original design. I have no problem with anyone doing a full rewire if the original number of conductors and their purpose in the cable is unchanged. How this can be enforced is another matter entirely.
Then again I personally believe that it is appropriate to allow the disconnection of wiring and removal from the bundle into a storage packet of conductors. For that matter, other than weight, why keep them in the car at all-spirit of class (?). I happen to be a bit extreme with wiring and use MIL spec teflon coated aviation/aerospace grade wire-is that wrong? I have both 16ga and 18ga on spools here. The problem is that the wire comes to me in White and I have to tag each. I have only done this with the add-ons (gauges, etc).
The large issue that we need to confront is rules "creep." As I noted in my previous answer, there is an unwillingness on the part of the CRB to allow changes; could be for this reason. My CRX will eventually need something of a rewire in the main harness. My preference is to use materials that are able to withstand the environment of a race car better than others. The rules do not allow this as I read them. Would this be creep-I think not as it makes the car somewhat safer. As to pinouts and connectors-they can be reworked (time consuming) and should be kept as that is part of the spirit of the class.

Just another thought.

Happy holidays

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow