Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimum weights - Question

There are several JH oiling up the tracks in the northeast. At least one in small-bore Prod, which gives us ("us" being NEDiv racers in the SRF / small-bore GT / small-bore Prod race group) regular "half-race Full Course Yellow breaks" to retrieve broken British crap (this year joined by several exploding MGA's). I believe that there is also one running around with in the SCCA HRG - NEDiv's vintage series, but I seem to remember that it got dramatically shortened (wheelbase-wise) at WGI in September.

I'm still pissed that ITA Gremlins got dropped from the class before I could find a non-rusty one. Find an old GCR - Gremlin engine, front brakes and weight would have made it a class-killer.

JW

(not a Brit car fan, although I've owned several Healeys, Triumphs, multiple Loti and still have a '67 Elan. There was a good and just reason why the English car industry collapsed. We should send them every Chrysler Volare/Aspen and K-car variant we can find, for revenge)

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">How many cars out there run at their minimum weight?</font>
    To the original question: I can in my Nissan NX2000. 2461# factory curb weight, 2515# IT legal weight (in 2005; 2490# in '04). Kinda bums me that I'm actually running over 50 pounds HEAVIER than my factory curb weight, but there you are...

Last year I had to run the spare tire (25#) in order to make minimum. This year I'm running a bridge for a rear swaybar...

John, John, John, it only took the General (don't you race and Oldsmobile) what, 20 years nearly, to come up with a 4-valve equivalent of the Lotus 907. You have to give the Jensen/Lotus boys some credit for trying.

I think the 907 in IT trim should be fairly durable, although there are apparently some oiling issues. It will be fairly low stressed. That I think is why those vintage and Brit production cars are always going pop. All that compression and revving isn't good for that old iron.

A nice loping 7000 rpm at 9:1 for the 907, and at a race weight of 2200 lbs (with driver and fuel) and the car should do well.

Bill, You can't be sure that this is not already being done. I know its hard but you have to have a little faith in people...

I did not mean to paint the picture the way you took it.....I have seen the exact thing I am getting at......."well is only a ______ they are not fast enough to win so lets ignore the 6"air scoop into the carb...

We are all guilty of giving someone a pass cause we know the car is poorly classed...

Originally posted by rlearp:
    How many cars out there run at their minimum weight?

I have most interior stuff including the entire dash/heating system in place. I wish I could put back in the rug, ceiling, and rear seat so it was quieter inside As the car sits we have added lead in the car and we weight the car before each session and add fule to make sure we come in over our minimum.

stephen

Originally posted by GregAmy:
    To the original question: I can in my Nissan NX2000. 2461# factory curb weight, 2515# IT legal weight (in 2005; 2490# in '04). Kinda bums me that I'm actually running over 50 pounds HEAVIER than my factory curb weight, but there you are...

Last year I had to run the spare tire (25#) in order to make minimum. This year I'm running a bridge for a rear swaybar...

Greg,

'84 Rabbit GTI:

Curb weight - 2104#
    Race weight - 2180#

76# over curb weight.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Joe Harlan:
    Bill, You can't be sure that this is not already being done. I know its hard but you have to have a little faith in people...

I did not mean to paint the picture the way you took it.....I have seen the exact thing I am getting at......."well is only a ______ they are not fast enough to win so lets ignore the 6"air scoop into the carb...

We are all guilty of giving someone a pass cause we know the car is poorly classed...

Joe,

I really hope that it is. However (this is not a shot), Darin has said in the past that they are not going to apply PCAs to every car in the ITCS. I guess you could say that applying the process to all the cars is not really a PCA, and I really hope that's what's done. As I said, it's only fair to everyone.

And hey, even our officials give cars a pass w/ illegal stuff (see A Protest Story)

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Bill Miller:

Greg,

'84 Rabbit GTI:

Curb weight - 2104#
    Race weight - 2180#

76# over curb weight.

Now compare the Rabbit GTI to the 83 Scirocco, which is essentially a GTI with a chopped top.
    ITB weight w/driver spec'ed at 2270#

Anybody else see a problem with this.

At least now, if I wasn't selling it, I could legally run the 200#'s of ballast I was using. Just for reference, I weigh 140# with all my driver gear on.

Needless to say (shameless plug mode on) my Scirocco needs to be acquired by someone who wants to run GP, where it actually has a fighting chance.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1696863

------------------
    Nico Prelogar
    ITB/GP Scirocco listed in IT classifieds

What was the weight (curb) of 'rocco?

They looked heavyier too me, the tended to be better optioned and had more glass.

Originally posted by apr67:
    What was the weight (curb) of 'rocco?

They looked heavyier too me, the tended to be better optioned and had more glass.

As a fully dressed street car (with a/c, no sunroof, manual windows, no spare tire and a half tank of gas), my Scirocco came in at 2170# without me in it.
    edit: meant to add that the main difference between an 83 Scirocco and an 83 GTI, weight wise, is the seats and some extra sound deadening.

------------------
    Nico Prelogar
    ITB/GP Scirocco listed in IT classifieds

[This message has been edited by theenico (edited December 10, 2004).]

Originally posted by GKR_17:
    It's been several years, but I recall at least one Jensen in the Southeast. The Comp Board tried to de-classify it, but then did not. I can only assume that the few Jensen drivers out there spoke up.

Grafton
    Why would a board de=classify a car? That makes no sense - having more cars on the books to race is good for the sport. Who cares if it is rare or difficult, if someone is fool enough to do it let them at it! I don't think anyone has a IT JH that is running. There is one that runs in the "driving through cones in a parking lot" thing, but that is it.

------------------
    Ron
    http://www.gt40s.com
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!