Originally posted by GregAmy:
Indicating to me that the preparers of JP cars aren't as serious as the ITS boys. C'mon, Robbie, which would you rather have: Motec, 1/2 point compression, and port matching; or camshafts, injectors, big 4-piston brakes, big rotors, master cylinder, spoilers and wings, and remote reservoir shocks? If I gave you the option of competing in ITS with a JP car, which would *you* choose? I think the latter is the obvious choice.

If you disagree, then you must agree that it indicates the ITS E36s were unintended overdogs for *that* class as well. One or the other...

I sincerely doubt you're going to get too many BMWCCA folks crying over this, either.

Would the SCCA then be concerned about losing large numbers to another organization?

\"Would\" or \"should\"? SCCA has *never* shown any concern in that regard, it's usually the other way around. That's why these other clubs always accept the rules of the 800-pound gorilla into their midst.

A little competition is healthy, but given that the BMWCCA focuses on one marque, then the SCCA has absolutely no concern or interest about what they do.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...faced with the decision to build it for one series or the other.</font>

That's silly, at least in the context you present it; they had that decision to make in the past and chose to build it to SCCA specs. (Edit: presumably, they chose the SCCA prep route because 1) it allowed them to race both series, and/or 2) they saw a competitive advantage in ITS. However, I sincerely doubt the BMWCCA intended the car to be competitive in JP, it was simply offering a place for the ITS boys to play; if it ended up that the ITS car was the prep level to beat (highly unlikely) then everyone would prep to ITS level because it's a competitive advantage.)

Note that the E36's legality for BMWCCA JP has not been compromised one whit; the car will still be legal for BMWCCA competition. Further, its position of competitiveness has not yet even been tested. If it's truly the dominant car that Robbie indicates then it probably needed a bit of a competition adjustment anyway, just as it did in SCCA.

So, why in the hell are folks already starting to slit their wrists in angst? Do you think the temper tantrums and threats of leaving are going to get anyone to change their mind?

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">The BMWCCA JP minimum weight for the e36 325 is what, 2646# w/driver?</font>

Where'd you see that? I read it as 2900 pounds (page 41). Even they indicate the factory weight on the car is almost 3100 pounds.

Bottom line: what happens in BMWCCA competition is interesting and intriguing, but has absolutely no bearing on what SCCA should or should not do. Feel fortunate, not entitled, that you have multiple choices of clubs and venues for competition.

GregA

[This message has been edited by GregAmy (edited December 01, 2004).]
i, like others, chose to prep to ITS rule so that i could be competitive in both series. yes, the ITS trim on paper is an underdog in BMW JP racing. In actual practice, an ITS car with a good SCCA driver can be competitive with a JP car. definitely down about 25hp, but still in the game. with any additional loss in hp (read restrictor plate) the ITS deficit will be very hard to overcome.

saying racing in other venues has no bearing scca decisions is sticking one's head in the sand. all these organizations are competing for a limited racing audience. changes which affect a car in another venue will change the bottom participation line. there are a bunch of ITS BMW's that run both groups. there are people like snk328 and my self that chose ITS prep so we can run in multiple arenas. changes like this can and will affect those participation decisions.

issues like this, and the perceived loss of cars because of not wanting to race against the big bad e36s, all must be part of decisions on car classification and rule changes. scca ain't the only game in town. it may have been the 800lb gorilla in the past, but it is probably only a 400lb gorilla today.

m