Thread: Oversees OEM counterparts legal?

Default Oversees OEM counterparts legal?

in specific, is an OEM japanese rear wing legal for the US counterpart? (or anything OE un-available in the US)

You'll need to be more specific than that.

In general, any part installed on a non-US-spec vehicle is legal in Improved Touring as long as it is an exact equivalant of the part installed on the US-spec car.

So, generally speaking, no.

I'll have to go back and re-read to get the exact wording, but I believe the rules state that the car specs are based on the model "as delievered" to the US, or, in other words, based on US models only.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

So, a spec part that was NOT offered on a US model of the car would not be considered a legal part...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Originally posted by Machines240:
    in specific, is an OEM japanese rear wing legal for the US counterpart? (or anything OE un-available in the US)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only car that's allowed to run an OEM rear wing the ITA AW11 MR2?

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only car that's allowed to run an OEM rear wing the ITA AW11 MR2?
    That's an interesting question... one that likely has a "grey area" type answer...

I know the RX-3SP was allowed to run it's stock rear spoiler, because THAT is part of what an SP was and the SP is specifically classified.

I run the factory rear wing on my 240SX, because it's an SE, and the SE is the only model that can with 16" wheels, which are specified in the rules, which means that the SE model is specifially allowed, which means the wing is allowed, as it is part of the SE package...

There may be some that have it specified on the spec line, but otherwise, I read that IF the model classified defines a car that includes a wing/spoiler, then it's legal. Since the RX-3SP is specifically mentioned, and the RX-3SP package IS the rear wing, graphics, and front spoiler, then I take the rear wing to be legal... I apply this to others as well...

I'm sure there are all kinds of holes in that way of looking at it, but that's how I read it...

OK, go for it guys... I'll sit back and read...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

What about a "G" (German) grind for the VW guys?

It really comes down to whether the wing was a dealer option or a factory option. In my case, the rear spoiler was a factory option, so I could run it if I so choose. If it were a dealer option, it could not be used.

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Originally posted by spnkzss:
    What about a "G" (German) grind for the VW guys?
    Can we please let this dead horse lie peacefully?

(BTW, the "G" has nothing to do with its country of origin. It's simply a parts number suffix that was picked up as a moniker to describe the cam.)

Darin,

I'm at my g/f's now, and don't have a GCR w/ me. I thought there was something in there about oem bodykits/rear wings/rear spoilers not being allowed. I know the AW11 MR2 has it expressly on the spec line, in the Notes. Also, bolt-on fender flares (that came stock) are expressly allowed for all cars (that came w/ them, stock). I'll check tonight when I get home.

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Good question. I was wondering about the same thing.

If there were dealer installed dress up options like different spoilers, rocker sill kits, etc, are we allowed to run those in IT?

Just trying to find legal ways for my car to look more like a "race car" and less vintage.

No GCR handy, but I think the rule is:

a. From the factory, it is fine. In other words, if it was bolted on at the factory, you can run it.

b. From the dealer, it is not.

c. The MR2 is the exception, which allows one of the dealer aero kits that ended up on about 90% of these cars.

Guys? I think this is right.

Yep, it says no dealer installed or limited production. Now, define limited production!

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Now, we're way off-topic on another dead horse romp...

This issue was tested a few years ago, as I remember, with the rubber rear spoiler that a lot of Mazda dealers installed on the first-generation RX7. It supported what Jeff describes.

I suspect - but don't know for sure - that the special language in the MR2 spec line happened in response to the necessity of removing said rear wing when running the car in Showroom Stock, even though almost NONE of the cars left dealers' lots without them.

K

Originally posted by JeffYoung:

c. The MR2 is the exception, which allows one of the dealer aero kits that ended up on about 90% of these cars.

Funny that you all mention this one exception. My father had one of the first ITA MR2's (We built it the very first year it was eligable.) We got protested by the stewards for its legality (not the competitors) so we would drive to the track and depending on the stewards at the meet we would take it off or leave it on. This went on for about 2 years until we finally got it approved.

Stephen

so to answer your question it is only allowed if it came on the car from the factory as a US option. And even then it can sometimes get sticky! I wuold say for your example though it is not legal since it is not a US option.

The aero kit on the AW11 MR2 was not necessarily a dealer package. It came from the factory that way.

I'm sure that some were added at the dealer level, but the great majority of them left Japan with them attached.

Also 90% is an exxageration. IIRC, 28% (or about 26,000) of the AW11's sold in this country were '85 models. The aero kit was not an option until '86. 100% of the USDM supercharged cars had the kit, but they are not a classified car.

------------------
    Norm - #55 ITA, '86 MR2. [email protected]

Interesting side note about the AW11 MR2 rear wing/body kit. The wing actually slowed the cars down. I used to have one of these, and the guy I bought the car off of had documented lap times from a test day (same driver) that showed that the rear wing cost the car ~0.7 - 1.0 seconds/lap at Summit Point.

------------------
    SCCA 279608

So, a spec part that was NOT offered on a US model of the car would not be considered a legal part...
    [/B]
    This is the way I interpreted it as well. And believe me, I've been looking into it. If I could run what was offered in the JH is England I could make an IT legal honest 190-195 flywheel hp motor at a race weight of 22XX pounds. I think that would do some damage in IT, might even keep a BMW in sight.

But, as it is I'll be lucky to get a 140-150 flywheel hp motor and that is fine with me.

Ron

------------------
    Ron
    http://www.gt40s.com
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited November 23, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited November 23, 2004).]