Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ITS Acura Racer Input

Originally posted by Geo:
    Actually, you missed the point.

Well, OK.
    I'll try to do better next time.

I invite any one of you knuckleheads to drive my 95 GSR at Summit. If you can get within two seconds of the top running BMWs I'd be shocked. There are two well developed, well funded GSR's and all we can do is pray for attrition so we can even have a shot at a top 5 finish.

Originally posted by JayLfrye:
    I invite any one of you knuckleheads to drive my 95 GSR at Summit. If you can get within two seconds of the top running BMWs I'd be shocked. There are two well developed, well funded GSR's and all we can do is pray for attrition so we can even have a shot at a top 5 finish.
    First off... you might want to show a little constraint with the "knuckleheads" comments... There are a lot of people here who deserve a little more respect than that... Perhaps you might want to consider getting a few posts under your belt before coming out with guns a blazin'...

Second, as has been said here numerous times, the BMW is a clear overdog in ITS. If you were to complain about not being able to run with the 240Zs or 2nd gen RX-7s, then you'd have a valid complaint, because THEY can't keep up with the BMW either...

I doubt, however, that this is the case, since we have two Integras out here that have shown they can run with the fastest Zs in town... underdeveloped and one of them underdriven...

The specs on the car and a quick analysis of it's classification show that it's pretty close to being classified correctly. The specs are close, the rest is up to you...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited October 12, 2004).]

Please pardon the knucklehead reference if you took it to heart. It was an attempt at humor.

These types of discussions have been around the SCCA since classes were developed. And, there have always been discussions regarding disparages in classifications. However, in today’s world of faster communication and freedom of information more members are questioning the manner, process and/or procedures used in determining the classification. Intelligent discourse and rational debate is something that should be encouraged in a member driven organization. I believe the perception is that this is not the case, hence the migration and atrophy to organizations such as NASA.

Originally posted by JayLfrye:
    Please pardon the knucklehead reference if you took it to heart. It was an attempt at humor.
    No Problem...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">However, in today’s world of faster communication and freedom of information more members are questioning the manner, process and/or procedures used in determining the classification. Intelligent discourse and rational debate is something that should be encouraged in a member driven organization. I believe the perception is that this is not the case, hence the migration and atrophy to organizations such as NASA.</font>
    Well, as the Chairman of the IT Advisory Committee, I can assure you that this "perception" is simply NOT the case... I'd say I, George Roffe, Andy Bettencourt, Chris Albin, Peter Keane, and Chris Camadella, who all participate here and are members of the ITAC are proof that we are working hard to listen, be open in our discussions, and try to find out what it is the IT community wants.

As for the Integra and the process of classification, it's pretty simple... Though this car was classified prior to the current classification "process", it falls pretty much inline with what it would end up at today. We simply use the following procedure:

Estmated HP output * wt/pwr factor + adders = spec weight

The adders are basically figured by comparing things like brakes, tranny ratios, suspension design, drive config, etc., to some baseline cars in the class. In the case of ITS, these include the 944, RX-7, and 240Z. This weight is added/subtracted from the initial weight calculation to come up with the final number.

The process is still someone subjective, but necessarily so, since we don't have F1 technology or spec cars here.

Based on this process, the Integra comes in very close to what it needs to be to be competitive in the class, at least with the 240Z, RX-7, 944, etc...

Hope this helps,

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Based on this process, the Integra comes in very close to what it needs to be to be competitive in the class, at least with the 240Z, RX-7, 944, etc...

I'd like to offer the following supporting your comment Darin. An Integra tied for the season win in the RMDiv points series with an RX-7 driven by the man who won the series for the last ten (or more) years. I was a distant third in a Z car.

While we're on the subject of weight, I saw a number of class/weight changes in the last Fastrack, but nothing about the 325is. Is this because the rule that allows PCA's will not take effect until January? Currently the E36 means nothing to me since there isn't one running in RMDiv, but I'm sure that won't last forever.

------------------
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division

I think everyone should just watch and see what happens in the next season with all the changes in the pipeline...we cannot predict the future accurately with so many changes coming with car classifications and wheel sizes etc. I sold my 94 integra gs for a 92 so i could run ITA competitively. I was worried about putting all this money in a car that was running against the same car with almos 30 more bhp...now it is moved to ITA...oh well. I finally took it to sebring for a shakedown before the ARRC without all the goods bolted to it(no swaybar stainless brake lines ignition etc)...i swept all 3 races. I know i wont be too competitive at the ARRC without an LSD or a rebuilt motor (68k stock motor car from buy here pay here lot) but I will have a blast anyways...see ya all there i hope!!!!

quote;An Integra tied for the season win in the RMDiv points series with an RX-7 driven by the man who won the series for the last ten (or more) years. I was a distant third in a Z car.

This is true. What it doesn't show is that the RX7 only ran 8 races and I ran 12 races. I only beat the RX7 4 times. Once in the snow{integra=full tread toyos, rx7=new hoosiers}, once when he didnt show, once after he had surgery and once when he was involved in an incident. I never outright beat him. When he won,it was by a long ways.

Originally posted by BVinson:
    ... I never outright beat him. When he won,it was by a long ways.
    Really? I guess I was always so far back that I never saw why you and Guy's finishing interval was. The only race I remember seeing the finish of was Sunday's race at Pueblo in July, and I thought you two were snoot-to-boot at the checker.

Forgot about that one . I almost caught that him that race. That "guy" is so tough to catch. Oh well.
    Hows things in new mex? Sorry you couldnt make the enduro. Are you coming up for the banquet?

Brian

I was thinking about it. If I can unload the kids on the grandparents for the weekend Betsy and I may come up. Do they give awards for third place?

What about Arizona? You mentioned you were thinking about Firebird this weekend. I can't make that one but there's a double reg. at (supposedly) AMP on the weekend of 11/13. You up for it? Soren was thinking about going if can find a couple of customers who want to go.

Shoot me an email or call if you want to chat more about it.

------------------
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division

Originally posted by Chuck Davis:
    I'm looking for all those racing '94-95 Acura GSR. The issue is the finished weight of a car fully prepared by the rules. (FYI, in my first outting this weekend I discovered I was 170 lbs. underweight.) You know the attitude expressed by the board is that they don't make mistakes determining car weights. I think they missed this one by 100 lbs. You can call me anytime at 913 484-5510 or reply here. Thanks.
    I ran a 94 gsr in Oregon division in ITS until mid season and wanted to do more to car so I am running Oregon RS and will try SPU. My car typically came off the track at 2710. I had 35 pounds of ballast plus spare tire in rear 25lbs. I had to start with half fuel tank also. I weigh 218. My car was very competitive with the Portland bunch. I have only four seasons under my belt so driving skills have room for improvement. My car pretty much had best of everything in it and it was dialed in perfectly with just a tad bit of oversteer. this is a perfect car for ITS but you have to spend money to get it competitive. My head was done by Sunbelt in Georgia and bottom end by Drummond Auto. I shifted at 8500 and ran the new hoosiers.

Now I have the car weight down to 2470 with me in it. Horsepower is 174 and torque is 128. I now have carbon fibre hood and trunk. With loss of weight and increase in power I have shaved about 3 seconds off per lap. the car handles very well, especially with the 2700 dollar Mugen shocks. Big problem is lack of RS cars in PDX SCCA so I will be going to lots of conference races and trying spu.

Anything else I can help you with let me know. I have a brand new GSR short block and a race prepped head for sale. Ron 1-541-954-0135

Chuck,

Was your first outing the October race at TMS? You forgot to tell everyone that you qualified first in ITS if that was you. I wouldn't worry about the 100lbs yet. Spend some more time developing the car.