Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Modern Cars in IT

Don't get me wrong, guys. I do understand how brand loyalty and the oddball factor can put people in race cars. I wasn't suggesting that everyone should see it my way - only that the question needs to be considered. We tend to argue detail points about rules and stuff without explaining the fundamental principles behind our thinking.

I am done, Jeff. Pablo is under his cover in the driveway, with most of the enduro crud scraped off. I buffed out the tire mark and pulled the fender lip back out, where the Mustang nosed Giles on the first lap, and I've peeled off all of the tape.

The clutch is feeling a little funky so the gearbox is the first order of business for the off season. I also need an exhaust system, since my "crew" took the old one off with a Sawzall after the test day.

K

PS - take a look at http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1060770&page=2

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited November 19, 2004).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">PS - take a look at...</font>
    Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah...!!! (Sounds of Pinot Grigio ex-post-nasal...)

Originally posted by Santo Fontana:

I have an 02 WRX and am sick of drag racing. I researched a little and found out about scca club racing, and then this sight. If WRXs and other cars like it are allowed into a competitive class in a few years it would be my dream come true.
    Well, there is a WRX that has been very competitive with BMWs, Hondas, etc. in US Touring car which runs all over the country. Take a look at

www.ustcc.com

Interesting program

Of course, they do not run with SCCA at this point.

I wouldn't hold our breaths on AWD in any affordable club racing classes.

I mean the 88-91 325iX isn't even classed in IT.

2005 will see the WRX in the new T3 and the STi finally more appropriately classed in T2. But once they are 6 years old I don't see any trends that are going to put either in a club level class. Of course there is the point that my WRX with stock turbo made 280hp at the wheels and my current STi on the stock turbo makes 320hp at the wheels. I like driving the STi at track days and time trials but can't see racing it in the club level.

Of course for those that would want to race a WRX or STi they are already classed by EMRA. So SCCA is just asking for more grassroots sanctioning bodies to pick up where they refuse to acknowledge the popular cars of the 21st century.

IT is being decimated by series like spec miata and honda challenge classes anyway, now NASA has spec E30 also. Soon the historically popular cars will each have their own series and no use for IT. Heck H5 Honda Challenge cars that cost much less than $5k have better contingencies available than Regional IT.

Sorry, Joe but I have to question how informative data might be, from a "series" that averaged fewer than 9 starters per event and had a mean fast-lap spread of almost 7 seconds per lap over the fastest five runners. That's ignoring the race where there were only 2 starters.

K

Originally posted by Knestis:
    Sorry, Joe but I have to question how informative data might be, from a "series" that averaged fewer than 9 starters per event and had a mean fast-lap spread of almost 7 seconds per lap over the fastest five runners. That's ignoring the race where there were only 2 starters.

K
    What is there to be sorry about? I answered the question about road racing a WRX since I know of a class for the WRX. Heck, they average over double the cars in their class than I find in my IT class in my SCCA region.

As I stated, I find it an interesting class. If you don't find it of any value, no need to criticize me.

Joe Craven
    ITB/PS3 Capri
    ITB/PS3 VW GTI
    ITA/PS2 Capri

On the subject of the WRX, just where can anybody imagine it being classed in IT? For the moment, forget the turbo. Forget the AWD. With 280 bhp stock, it's WAY beyond anything else in IT. Heck, that's about 50% more hp than the E36 Panzers.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

I wasn't criticizing you, Joe - I was being critical of the data. I try very hard to keep personalities distict from issues but it may not translate in text very well. Sorry!

K

DAMN! HE PUT BAR LEAK IN MY RACECAR? I had already put two eggs in the thing -- I like the natural solution.

Kirk, you crack me up man. Thanks for that, that's the best race car picture I've seen.

Tell Pablo that Barbieata says hello, and that she hopes that awful Giles guy didn't ride him too hard.

Originally posted by GregAmy:
    Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah...!!! (Sounds of Pinot Grigio ex-post-nasal...)

Pinot Grigio, yummy!!!!!

Greg,

Have you tried the Luna de Luna Pinot/Chardonay? That stuff rocks!!!!

[on-topic content]

Unfortunately, none of today's Touring cars fit into IT, performance level is already too high.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608