Thread: Weight added to BMW e36

IT advisory board recommended 300
    no answer yet!

------------------
    SpeedSource rx-7 ITS #12
    1995 BMW 325is White
    2001 supercrew white (tow vehicle)
    Regional Executive Midsouth Region #66

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Why do cars making 150-200 WHP need to weight 2700-3200lbs</font>
    Why should cars w/ this kind of delta in WHP run in the same class?? You've got cases where cars w/ a delta HP of 10-15 that run in different classes.

Oh, and they don't. Go race them in Prod, and they'll weigh 2/3 of that (or less).

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Doug Ford:
    IT advisory board recommended 300
    We did??

I will say that not only is this incorrect, but basically a lot of people here being awfully sure of speculation that is incorrect. This is how dung gets flung around and then people believe what they want to believe and get all worked up.

Such speculation is counter-productive.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Easy George...only Doug is spewing rumour and innuendo! The rest of us are just having fun playing "The Weight is Right!".

However, at 300, I think I win the hat!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Sounds like the kind of rumor-mongering that we've seen in our local rag during this election season:

ITAC Member Denies Making Recommendation

Houston, TX - IT Advisory Committee member George Roffe today denied that he had participated in discussions leading to the recommendation that the ITS BMW 325 receive a weight penalty of 300 pounds.

While it has been reported otherwise, Roffe claimed to be uninvolved, going so far as to state for the record that he is "all worked up" about "how (expletive deleted) gets flung around."

It is not known whether Roffe will resign from his position on the ITAC, or if he will be forced out. Further, it is not known how true any allegations might be, regarding his possible links to known terrorist organizations.

K

Ohhh, Ohhh-Ohhh....

Can I take a guess??? Can I??? Huh, Can I???

In all seriousness, one thing I think we can assure you is that any adjustments to any of these cars will get treated with the same level of consideration that any other car has been treated to over the past year...

The basic question comes down to "what would the specs be for this care were we to be classifying it for the first time..."

I guess, so long as you don't drive an RX-7 or an MR-2, that should be of some comfort to most of you...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Originally posted by Knestis:
    Sounds like the kind of rumor-mongering that we've seen in our local rag during this election season:

ITAC Member Denies Making Recommendation

Houston, TX - IT Advisory Committee member George Roffe today denied that he had participated in discussions leading to the recommendation that the ITS BMW 325 receive a weight penalty of 300 pounds.

While it has been reported otherwise, Roffe claimed to be uninvolved, going so far as to state for the record that he is "all worked up" about "how (expletive deleted) gets flung around."

It is not known whether Roffe will resign from his position on the ITAC, or if he will be forced out. Further, it is not known how true any allegations might be, regarding his possible links to known terrorist organizations.

K
    Typical press.....

Can't get the story straight.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    The rest of us are just having fun playing "The Weight is Right!".

However, at 300, I think I win the hat!

But Jake - you overbid! I'm bidding 1 lb. Remember if you get it exactly you win both prizes. :?

Knestis, I think that is the funniest post you have ever writen. On the other matter, I have no comment.

Originally posted by BUMPnGO:
    How's this for a new Isaacs T-shirt slogan: "You can always make more money, but you can't buy a new HEAD!!"
    I like it!

Since this is a family-oriented, G-rated web site (George's potty mouth excepted ), we shouldn't get into the various ways the word "HEAD" can be used in a slogan.

Gregg

Rumors are flying.....

Let's just say if I were betting I would put my money on 300lbs but I don't bet. Another bet that I would be willing to take is that some of you guys take this way to seriously.

And I do appreciate all the work and effort that most of you do to answers questions with the most accurate information as possible including you George.

By the way when are going to have the 944 that you are working on done. I raced one for a race or two and it and I weren't very fast and I am waiting to see one that is prepared by a guy like yourself that seems to be very knowledgeable about racing and general car prep can do. When I was racing it I was one of the guys that was pushing for comp. adjustments for the car. Maybe after all is said and done with this the 944 will become competitive again.

Anyway I am getting of the subject, In my opinion which means absolutely nothing in the big picture with SCCA I think SportsCar needs to post regional race results again! oops, of the subject again!!!!!

Well anyway who's going to the ARRC? I bet car weights will be the hot topic of conversation there.

If anyone sees me I will be in a blue and silver speedsource rx7 with the number 4 and it says THE FORD FINANCIAL GROUP on the side. I will be paddocking with Bill Benton in a white speedsource rx7 with a big MEMPHIS on the side. Stop by and say hello I would love to put a name with a face.

RACE ON DUDES!!!!

------------------
    SpeedSource rx-7 ITS #12
    1995 BMW 325is White
    2001 supercrew white (tow vehicle)
    Regional Executive Midsouth Region #66

Go Doug! I will make an absentee cheer for ya! Looks like you have a spare bimmer waiting for conversion if you don't like the rex.

I vote for 301!

Add 1000lbs to the BMW's.

Serves the Nazi's right!

WHINE, WHINE, WHINE. If memory server me right, BMW won the ARRC last year, but someone tell me where in the country has this car "dominated" the ITS class. At the SIC the RX7s were first and second, and from what I read here, they hold most of the track records around the country. Prehaps weight should be added to them and the ZX since it wins too. My opinion is that nothing will change. That's my bet and I'm sticking to it.

------------------
    Chuck Baader
    #36 ITA E30 BMW
    Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

dc region. two e36's in particular cut lap times 2 seconds faster than the rest of us at summit point. although, "the rest of us" includes the 4 other e36's that race in the region. that next bunch of cars behind those two e36's are within a few tenths of a second and include z cars, e36's and an acura.

the top ita cars are only a few tenths behind the front its pack. i agree with an earlier poster. instead of adding to the e36's, we should subtract weight from some other its cars to get them away from the ita pack. (its and ita run in the same group in the marrs series).

300lbs? sheesh, i would just about have to put the entire interior, including all that nasty sound insulation tar, back in the car! wait! hmmm, a/c, stereo...this might not be that bad!

marshall
    e36

300lbs?? Thats crazy. I don't believe this will happen - if it does, then next season will be completely lopsided for the RX-7 to dominate.

I, or any other BMW driver, didn't dominate at any of the four major Northeast Tracks. As a matter of fact, the RX-7 holds track records at each track, NHIS, Lime Rock, Pocono and Watkins Glen. Three of those four records were set this season.

I think that everything should be left alone. Maybe some of the Mazda guys that are slightly off the pace should develop their cars to the extent of Nick Leverone's super fast RX-7. There is a lot of fast drivers in the NE Region but I do not feel that somebody with a $10,000 RX-7 should be able to keep up with someone in a fully prepared BMW or Mazda with three times that value invested.

Last year we had great battles at almost every race - the championship was decided on track at the Runoffs by ONE point. How much closer can it get?

Rob Driscoll
    2004 N.A.R.R.C. Champion
    93 BMW 325is 2851lbs.

Originally posted by robits325is:
    300lbs?? Thats crazy. I don't believe this will happen - if it does, then next season will be completely lopsided for the RX-7 to dominate.

I, or any other BMW driver, didn't dominate at any of the four major Northeast Tracks. As a matter of fact, the RX-7 holds track records at each track, NHIS, Lime Rock, Pocono and Watkins Glen. Three of those four records were set this season.

I think that everything should be left alone. Maybe some of the Mazda guys that are slightly off the pace should develop their cars to the extent of Nick Leverone's super fast RX-7. There is a lot of fast drivers in the NE Region but I do not feel that somebody with a $10,000 RX-7 should be able to keep up with someone in a fully prepared BMW or Mazda with three times that value invested.

Last year we had great battles at almost every race - the championship was decided on track at the Runoffs by ONE point. How much closer can it get?

Rob Driscoll
    2004 N.A.R.R.C. Champion
    93 BMW 325is 2851lbs.
    Got MOTEC yet? I hope you guys get to the ARRC so you can see the sheer speed of the 'Ultra-Bimmers'. They walk from Big Blue.

Name one RX-7 that could beat you other than Nick if you had, say, less than 300 lbs but more than 50 pounds...

This year it will be closer, but we shall see how close!

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    ITS RX-7 and ITA project SM
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

[This message has been edited by Andy Bettencourt (edited October 21, 2004).]

And I do appreciate all the work and effort that most of you do to answers questions with the most accurate information as possible including you George.
    Thanks for the kind words Doug. I wasn't trying to single you out (although effectively I did). You just provided a good lead-in.

By the way when are going to have the 944 that you are working on done. I raced one for a race or two and it and I weren't very fast and I am waiting to see one that is prepared by a guy like yourself that seems to be very knowledgeable about racing and general car prep can do.
    I'm trying to get it done soon. I got the cage in early this year. I've worked on it while the temps weren't outrageous (it's hell in Houston in the summer). I've been unemployed for a bit over 6 months so the car has had limited investment during that time. But, since it's starting to cool off I'm getting back at it. Hope to have the engine and drivetrain out and suspension stripped soon and then get it painted. I was hoping to have it on the track this year, but unemployment has hurt matters as much as the heat.

Soon. Hopefully soon. May have to buy a couple of rides to keep my license current.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

>Crazy Andy Bettencourt wrote:
    >Name one RX-7 that could beat you other
    >than Nick if you had, say, less than 300
    >lbs but more than 50 pounds...

Name one other RX-7 that has more than $12,000 invested? Spend $30,000 on a Mazda and a talented driver and they will run up front. Someone is a $60,000 BMW should dominate - but someone in a $60,000 RX-7 or 944s or Integra would also dominate too - if done correctly.

Name one other RX-7 developed to the extent of Nicks Big Blue in the Northeast? Nicks car is at least a second a lap faster at each track compared to Any other RX-7 Good driver combined with a well developed Mazda should be as fast as a BMW. The 325is isn't a overdog when compared to equally prepared Mazdas.

A few years ago Kip VanSteenberg won in the North East with his super-bimmer 325is - but does he have any track records? He was faster up here in his RX-7 than his BMW.

Andy

I think I can name a few real fast RX-7 drivers other than Nick.

Northern Pacific
    Randy Evans

North-east
    Kip VanSteenburg
    Mike Carr

South-east
    Buzz Marcus
    Chris Brubaker
    Kent Thompson
    Kevin Busler
    Steve Eckerich
    Marc Dana
    Scott Richards
    Mike VanSteenburg
    Fred Ricart

Mid-West
    Al Murdock

This is just a few there are still several more that merit mention.

The RX-7, 240Z, and the e36 should all get the same amount of weight if any is to be added.