Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NASA Class System and Enforcement

Wow. I had no idea the little example that popped to the top of my head would (re)start such a pissing match. Sorry about that guys.

Darin,
    I have some "real" info for you but won't post it publicly because its not all mine to publicly share. Its nothing earth shattering, and wouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone who watched this year's ITC ARRC race. But what certain cars make HP wise in ITC is widely known around here and not really hidden. The numbers shared are matching up to whats happening on the track as well (and are a big reason this years ITC race was such a damned good one). Email me at "unchecked22 at hotmail dot com" if you are interested.

Chuck,
    Again, you're talking about spec classes or similar cars/chassis. The pwr/weight thing works for that type stuff. We are not in disagreement there.
    And nobody is FORCING you to sell your 14" wheels. SCCA says you can still use them if you want to.
    It can be a little different with NASA. Just trust me on this. I've been the recipient of unsolicited, unrequested, unwanted rule change emails from California. I USED to think the SCCA process was a pain in the ass. Now... not so much.

BTW - If SCCA continues to get its shit straight in IT (another big thanks to Darin and the crew), NASA racing is in big trouble. Their most popular series have capitalized on cars that SCCA either didn't class or grossly misclassed (which was the SOLE driving force behind the Honda Challenge, now NASA's most popular series). These things they are-a changing. We'll see how things shake out in a few years.

[This message has been edited by Catch22 (edited November 14, 2004).]

Originally posted by Catch22:
    Darin,
    I have some "real" info for you but won't post it publicly because its not all mine to publicly share. Its nothing earth shattering, and wouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone who watched this year's ITC ARRC race. But what certain cars make HP wise in ITC is widely known around here and not really hidden. The numbers shared are matching up to whats happening on the track as well (and are a big reason this years ITC race was such a damned good one). Email me at "unchecked22 at hotmail dot com" if you are interested.
    Anything sent to the ITAC on a personal level, or officially to the CRB and ITAC, is considered confidential and only used amongst those with which it was originally shared... In other words, we keep it to ourselves out of respect for those sending it...

I would love to see whatever you have that would help us make more informed decisions...

Send the info to Banzai240 "AT" Yahoo "Dot" com

I appreciate the effort...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Scott, this will be my last comment on the subject as I try to resist pissing contests also. Did you ever think that NASA is a good feeder series to SCCA just as BMWCCA is? Both other series allow a lower level (hence less expensive) of preperation than SCCA. Racers can start smaller, and if they feel they can be competitive with the SCCA guys they can move up much the same way we did through SOLO 1 to Club Racing. Each organization has its place in the marketplace and is successful for many reasons. I really don't feel they dilute the SCCA enries as there are quite a few cross-over racers from both other venues.

I feel SCCA is certainly on the right track specifically with the feedback Darin and others are providing about the process. I applaud their efforts because the SCCA no longer stands for Secret Sports Car Club! Darin attempts to discuss issues with the vocal minority have given all of us useful insite into the process.

The NASA rules making process may or may not leave something to be desires..but I'll make my own decision, thanks.

------------------
    Chuck Baader
    #36 ITA E30 BMW
    Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

"The NASA rules making process may or may not leave something to be desires..but I'll make my own decision, thanks."

Well Chuck, thats exactly what I'm telling you to do. If you read carefully, I never said anything about the NASA system of doing things being "bad." I'm just warning you to be careful what you wish for, thats all.

You simply pick your poison. The politics and slow movement of the SCCA system can be frustrating, but for better or for worse it keeps the rules pretty stable.
    The NASA system has no such Member Driven, Committee Reviewed, Board Approved red tape. This is sometimes a good thing, but sometimes it is a very very bad thing.

As I said before, take your pick. You can have either or both. Whatever.
    But having dealt extensively with both, I'll take SCCA.