Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: headlight tape

Originally posted by Grumpa:
    I also see modified front drive spindles with oversize bearings advertised for sale for VW IT cars. If VW did not manufacture these pieces, how are they legal in IT? My pea brain has a hard time processing some of the nuances.
    VW changed the front wheel bearing/carrier size mid run on the A2 cars (1989 I think). I imagine that this is what is being sold (OEM replacement parts), and it is perfectly legal.

Originally posted by shwah:
    VW changed the front wheel bearing/carrier size mid run on the A2 cars (1989 I think). I imagine that this is what is being sold (OEM replacement parts), and it is perfectly legal.

Oh, please DO explain.

It is NOT legal. First of all, aftermarket replacement parts are not currently legal (but will be next year). Second, parts from an A2 absolutely CANNOT be legally used on a A1 car.

Unless of course I've missed something in the ITCS. Please do cite your references on how this is legal.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Originally posted by Geo:
    Oh, please DO explain.

It is NOT legal. First of all, aftermarket replacement parts are not currently legal (but will be next year). Second, parts from an A2 absolutely CANNOT be legally used on a A1 car.

Unless of course I've missed something in the ITCS. Please do cite your references on how this is legal.

George,

If your first statement is true, probably 95% (maybe more) of the cars on the grid are illegal.

And how about if some of the A2 parts are the same as the A1 parts, would they be legal then? Sorry, couldn't resist!

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    George,

If your first statement is true, probably 95% (maybe more) of the cars on the grid are illegal.
    Then they are illegal. Maybe it's time for some ITB and ITC folks to write some paper.

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    And how about if some of the A2 parts are the same as the A1 parts, would they be legal then? Sorry, couldn't resist!

Duh. (sorry, couldn't resist).

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

George,
    Ok, the mounts are illegal - so I'll paint 'em black. Sorry, couldn't resist. I have also seen diesel mounts offered for sale. Again, illegal, unless one is racing a diesel, correct? The modified spindles are offered for A1 VW's as I recall. Last, but not least, I assume my "cage as structure" interpretation is correct, Si?

George,
    Ok, the mounts are illegal - so I'll paint 'em black. Sorry, couldn't resist. I have also seen diesel mounts offered for sale. Again, illegal, unless one is racing a diesel, correct?
    Correct.

The modified spindles are offered for A1 VW's as I recall.
    Doesn't matter. If they didn't come on the car from the factory and/or are not a supersession part, they are illegal.

Last, but not least, I assume my "cage as structure" interpretation is correct, Si?
    Haven't really thought about it much. Perhaps someone else will have a better answer than I would.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

As purchased, the washer bottle is out of the car and the motor mounts are urethane. How illegal is the car?
    Minorly illegal. Especially since its gonna be darn near impossible for a A1 vw to win in ITB. Both of those are pretty common problems.

Heres a question. If you use your washer bottle as your oil catch can, is everything still kosher?

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\"> Also, in reading the GCR, it states that the seat shall be firmly attached to the structure of the car. Is the cage considered to be a part of the structure of the car? </font>
    It should be legal. But it is hard to do legally in small cars without creating additional mounting points (exceeding the 6 + 2). Not impossible, and it really is the best way to install a seat.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I also see modified front drive spindles with oversize bearings advertised for sale for VW IT cars. If VW did not manufacture these pieces, how are they legal in IT? </font>
    Not legal, nor required in my experience. A good set of german hubs and bearings, properly maintained on a A1, go about 14 weekends or so. I never broke one on my A1, and it was not a slug (4th and 5th at the ARRC, won the enduro, back in the late 90's).

Oh, please DO explain.

Brain fade, forgot we were talking about a Rabbit. My point was that advertisements for big bearing hub carriers are likely referring to the later stock A2 setup, which is legal on A2 cars. Much safer too since the hub is a weak point, and failures can have nasty results.

But my comments were not valid for the car in discussion. Sorry.

Chris

Originally posted by apr67:
    Minorly illegal.
    Yeah. It's like a little bit pregnant.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

Yeah. It's like a little bit pregnant.

To me, bogus motor mounts or lack of Winshield washer bottle should not get you bounced, it should be noted and fixed before the next event.

Now, add an extra cylinder and we have a problem.

JMHO, of course.