Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: headlight tape

Default headlight tape

What is the logic behind taping glass headlights instead of removing and replacing with metal/composite panels? I was at MidOhio and witnessed a first lap, first turn, front of the field fandango between an ITB Rabbit and Volvo. The Rabbit lost both headlights and no doubt the majority of the field ran through the glass. From a safety and expense ($200 tire) standpoint, I don't comprehend the club's logic as to the headlight tape rule. Enlighten me, please.

I don't know the real reason, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's a throwback to the 'dual purpose' nature of IT cars, which officially went by the board 4 or 5 years ago.

Now here's something that would make the transition between IT and Prod easier. Darin, are you listening????

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

is there a concern that removing headlights would allow you to change airflow?
    dick

My IT car doubles as a backup street car for me, I would not want to lose my headlights. Besides, I like to color-coordinate my lights with the tape.

Diane
    <got the IT car back on the street last week yay! )

Here in Atlantic Canada, we race under ARMS sanctioned events and we use SCCA's GCRs for IT competition. Our rules are identical except for some minor allowances. The removal of headlights is allowed as one of these. Yes, we don't want glass on our tracks either. This has been working out for over a decade. When we race south of the border, unfortunately we have to put them back in.

racer-025-

When you take out the headlights do you need to replace them with metal or some other material to restrict the airflow?

Raymond

"the club's logic"

oxymoron

Dickita15,
    I layer my duct tape over my headlights from bottom to top for the slight airflow advantage I get from the resulting positive angle of the tape surface.

That was a joke, ok?
    NASCAR doesn't even worry about aero at the speeds we go in IT. I'm sure that you would not notice any performance advantage.

It would seem to me that not having glass on the track would make it safer for all of us.

We could allow headlight removal on safety grounds. Perhaps we could use vinyl fake headlights. Then we can make a case to remove the factory glass and replace it with Lexan on a safety basis. Then we could make a case to allow full tube framed funnycar chassis on safety grounds as well. Then, as long as we're doing that, we may as well allow FWD to RWD conversions.

Yeah, that's it.

The fact is, IT is still a production based category and as such, some things must remain. Besides, there are plenty of pro class race cars that make no pretention of being dual purpose that still retain their headlights. I wouldn't hold your breath on this argument.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Thanks, George. I wasn't trying to push buttons. Being a newbie to IT, I was just curious about the glass tape.

Originally posted by Grumpa:
    Thanks, George. I wasn't trying to push buttons. Being a newbie to IT, I was just curious about the glass tape.
    You're not pushing my buttons. Not by a long shot. I was being naughty.

But the basic premise is correct. We can come up with a plethora or reasons to justify a great many things that would turn IT into Production in a hurry.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Originally posted by Renaultfool:

NASCAR doesn't even worry about aero at the speeds we go in IT. I'm sure that you would not notice any performance advantage.
    ok i guess i should have been clearer. some cars have carb/FI intake behind the headlight. would one reason no to tamper with headlights is some people would worry airflow to the engine being altered.
    dick

Originally posted by Grumpa:

Grumpa,

Don't worry, George can't help himself.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Dick-

I was with you, thats why I asked my question

Raymond

RST,

we have to install metal in the exact configuration as the headlights. Check out a photo of one of my CRX's;

http://www.geocities.com/mcnuttracing/blackcrx.jpg

Originally posted by Geo:
    We can come up with a plethora or reasons to justify a great many things that would turn IT into Production in a hurry.
    Yep, and this isn't one of them. Production allows the use of the former headlight locations for air intake; IT could prohibit that, and require a flat metal cover on cars with exposed headlights, which would eliminate any aero advantage. For those who still want to drive their cars on the street, or run night time enduros, unscrew the covers and re-install the headlights. Big deal. The question was legitimate -- why require the taping of headlights if it doesn't always work? Duh...

------------------
    ...Don

Originally posted by hornerdon:
    The question was legitimate -- why require the taping of headlights if it doesn't always work? Duh...
    That's very poor rationale.
    Why require a roll cage? It doesn't always work.
    Why require seat belts, they don't always work?

That said, I agree with the original poster, I'd prefer to see headlights gone.

MM

[This message has been edited by Marcus Miller (edited October 31, 2004).]

ARMS made this revision to the IT rules as a total common sense rule change only. The metal headlight cover has to be of the same profile as the existing headlight (take a look at the photo). This rule has worked for us for years without any issues, ie: no performance gains, really. This actually "lowers" the cost for IT racers by allowing them not to have to buy expensive headlight replacements as well as no glass on the track in the event of an incident. It just makes good sense.

Originally posted by racer-025:
    ARMS made this revision to the IT rules as a total common sense rule change only. The metal headlight cover has to be of the same profile as the existing headlight (take a look at the photo).
    What if you don't have glass headlights? Do you still have to do this? How much fabrication does it take to match the composite headlight designs on new cars?

Seems like a can of worms.

ARMS doesn't make you remove the headlights. You don't have to do it. It's just an option. The steel panel formation also doesn't have to be perfect - but close. Tech has the final say to your fabrication. I can form just about any headlight mould from card board. Then I use the card board cut-out to make my steel panel.

RX7's & Miata's have it easy as they are allowed to remove their headlights without having to make any steel panels.