For a while now I’ve been trying to figure out a way to manipulate my ECU, but am not having much luck. The cheaper methods that are currently legal are not possible for my vehicle’s ECU. It may be possible to modify it within the current rules structure, but it would be very costly. Besides, I’m honestly don’t think there are significant gains to be made. But I still would like to see what possibilities exist for the future.

In the most recent FasTrack, I saw the following: “Allow modifications to the wiring harness as it relates to the ECU rules. (Kamler) Tabled for further discussion by the Advisory Committee.”

I’ve often wondered why the ECU modifications are required to be done inside of the stock ECU housing. I’ve seen other ECU systems (such as Unichip) that could be used to tune the ECU at a much more reasonable cost but require the unit to be wired into the ECU harness. This system would not offer any performance advantage compared to the more expensive units that are contained in the box; it would just be a less expensive alternative. It just seems that this rule makes completing this modification more expensive then the alternatives which is contrary to the IT philosophy.

I’m curious to hear what people’s thoughts are on this subject.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si