Thread: Stock interior door panel modification?

Default Stock interior door panel modification?

Rather than go with the aluminum sheet, I am exploring the possibility of retaining the stock interior door panels. Now that my cage is installed, it is clear that I would need to modify the stock panel in order for the doors to shut. Specifically, I need to notch out a section of the arm rest portion of the panels in order to clear the roll cage door bars:

Per the ITCS 9.f, it says that "other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting is permitted."
    I read that as meaning that because of the required safety equipment (roll cage) I can alter (notch) the stock door panel. No, I don't plan on cutting giant holes, I just want to notch it enough that my doors will properly shut! Opinions?

------------------
    Steve
    '92 ITA Sentra SE-R
    www.indyscca.org

[This message has been edited by Racerlinn (edited October 28, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Racerlinn (edited November 02, 2004).]

Yup that's perfectly legal.... that is what the rule was made for! IMHO

Go for it!

Stephen

You are fine, based on everything I've ever seen or heard.

K

PS - you don't know how happy it makes me to see "ITA Nissan Sentra SE-R" on your sig.

Thanks all. I have seen cars like this, but wanted to get a general opinion. I think it fits the rules just fine and saves me the hassle of messing with aluminum sheet when I already have the stock panels and plenty of cutting tools at my disposal.

Oh, and there's plenty of us that are happy about ITA. Greg Amy probably the most

I'm new to IT and I haven't looked at the rules too closely. Are you required to use stock door panels or can you just put sheet metal over them?

Correct, either retain the stock interior door panels or fully cover the surface with 0.060" aluminum.