Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ITAC Membership

GRJ,

Interesting question.

I think that the committee should be made up of current members for a variety of reasons.

1. They have some skin in the game. They aren't 'governing' without repercussion.
    2. They SHOULD be more in tune with the IT climate than someone who is inactive that has only historical knowledge.

Having said that, with 9 members, it is easy and possible to recuse yourself from a vote if there is a conflict of interest - and it is an active practice.

The current group is well represented from all over the country and all over the class structure. What improvments are you specifically asking for that we can attempt to implement?

AB
    AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    ITS RX-7 & Spec Miata 1.6 (ITA project)
    New England Region R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    GRJ,

Interesting question.

I think that the committee should be made up of current members for a variety of reasons.

1. They have some skin in the game. They aren't 'governing' without repercussion.
    2. They SHOULD be more in tune with the IT climate than someone who is inactive that has only historical knowledge.

Having said that, with 9 members, it is easy and possible to recuse yourself from a vote if there is a conflict of interest - and it is an active practice.

The current group is well represented from all over the country and all over the class structure. What improvments are you specifically asking for that we can attempt to implement?

AB
    Andy, I'm not going to give some of the participants further opportunity to raise my blood pressure. But if you will call me collect 540-972-1996, or email [email protected] , I would welcome and appreciate the opportunity to discuss my concerns.
    GRJ

My comments were not directed at any one person. However, I think it would be difficult to get GOOD people who no longer participate in a certain sector to volunteer for these positions. If they are still racing, they have their own issues to deal with. If not, they probably couldn't care less about our issues.

It would be interesting to see what everyone thinks should be the minimum requirements for being eligible for being on an AdHoc committee.

------------------
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

G Robert,
    I would be more worried about conflicts if it was a very small board. if it were one, three or even five I would probaly be think along the same lines, but with 7 of more we most likely have someone on both sides of any issue. hmmm as I think about it however are there any ITC guy. if not maybe you should find one to apply.
    dick patullo

I would agree with most here. The current ITAC is one step removed from having a bit of the non active racer. The resigning (moved to another category) chairman was seasoned, and actualy not as active as he once was. Even took a season off as I remember.

While in theory, having active members can lead to the appearance of conflicts of interest, I doubt in practice it really has much of a bearing. As many mentioned there are too many members, which leads to checks and balances. Also, its hard to hide your "agenda" when everyone sees you in it once a month!

I also think that IT is an active arena, and I really want the ITAC guys to be active and involved.

Finally, I agree that most stewards strive for quality in there decision making, but I have seen calls from stewards that showed they really had either forgotten what its really like out there, or had never been there. I wish the SIT program wasn't so involving and that more workers raced, and that more racers worked.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I am wondering what each member drives and what the competition is like in their region.

Darin-ITS-240sx
    Chris A.-ITB/prod-golf
    Bob-ITA-Rx-7
    P.K.-SM
    Les-ITB-volvo
    Andy-ITS/SM-rx7
    Geo-ITS-Sentra/944

Could someone help me out with Chris C. and Lee G.?

Andy Bettencourt
    Northeast based - New England Region
    NARRC and NERRC Series

ITS RX-7:
    25 car fields
    Teammate holds 3 track records in similar car
    Races made up of about 1/3 Bimmers, 1/3 RX-7's and 1/3 other
    Podium finisher year end points

SM/ITA Miata
    30+ car fields
    Development of ITA car on SM platform
    Learning what a real momentum car is all about!

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    ITS RX-7 & Spec Miata 1.6 (ITA project)
    New England Region R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Darin Jordan
    Oregon and Northwest Regions
    Tracks:
    Portland International Raceway (1.9 mile Momentumn track)
    Pacific Raceways (2.25 mile, formerly SIR... HP works at this track...)
    Bremerton Motorsports Park (1.1 mile Airport track... LONG straight attached to an autocross course...)

ITS - 1998 Nissan 240SX
    Fields of 4-8 ITS cars consisting of 240Zs, 944s, RX-7s, Acura GS-Rs, 240SX, and the occasional BMW 325.

240Zs and 944s seem to rule the roost out here, with the advantage usually going to the 240Z. The Acura showed some REAL speed earlier this year, qualifying right beside one of the 240Zs at PIR and running with him most of the race.
    The BMWs that show up don't show the speed you guys talk about, but they aren't fully developed either.

As for other IT classes... There are good ITA fields, usually with RX-7s, a 240SX, and others... I don't recall too many ITB fields, and the ITC fields are alright, consisting mostly of 510s and Rabbits. There may be a Honda as well, I can't recall off the top of my head...

My car isn't fully developed, still lacking spherical bushings and a few odds and ends. The engine is just about there, and I'm tweaking the exhaust system currently. Not sure there is too much more to be had there. Likely another 5hp or so to be had with some tweaking, as well as a few more if I were to go to oversize pistons... Otherwise, it has a good ECU, tranny, gearing, etc...

Anything else you'd like to know??? Just ask...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

New to SM last year. Went to the dark side when my IT car was obsolete. Usually a top ten car in the SE, but the tight competition is wearing me out. Poor old crip never gets a chance to rest.

Started out in ITC Fiesta (1989), then went to ITC Rabbits. Built an ITB Golf in 1995, well two, the first one did not fare to well (see picture at the begining of this site).

Finished forth in ITC and Fifth in ITB 1998 ARRC. Should have won the ITC race, but the rear suspension beam was coming loose. After that weekend, I knew that the Golf could not get it done in ITB. I started sending requests to the ITAC for a better mouse trap. After several go rounds we settled on the Accord (not my first choice). The rest is history.

In the family we have one SM, one SM under construction, two ITC VWs, one ITB Golf and enough stuff to build a second Golf.

I plan on running the 2004 ARRC in the SM and a ITC rabbit. In 2005, I will bring the Accord out of storage, with BOD approval.
    PK

To answer the second part of your question.

SM Huge fields
    ITS and ITA 25+
    ITB and ITC in the past they where big fields, but lately they seem to be down.

The ITS field here is typically 6-10 cars. In the past we were fielded with ITB, ITC, ITE. Typical run groups are about 20-30 cars.

Recently we have been grouped with ITE, SPO, SPU, ITA. Last year I got to race against Bob Stretch in his ITA 240SX, or I should say I was on the track at the same time. He was contending for the overall lead at the time. I wasn't.

In ITS here in TX it's pretty much dominated by a variety of Z cars. I know of a couple of E36 being built and we've picked up a Prelude and there is another 944 that comes around a bit. We also have an Alfa GTV6.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Originally posted by Geo:
    ...We also have an Alfa GTV6.
    George,

Who races the Alfa?

Gregg

Oh, I should probably add that I received my license for ICSCC in 1992, raced a Datsun 510 in ITC for a year, then raced a Mazda RX-3SP (essentially IT car with Wilwood front brakes and a 240+hp bridge-port 12A) in GT-3. I was out of race driving for a couple of years when I went back to school, and have been racing the 240SX since 1999...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Thanks Guys, it's nice to see the health of IT around the country and who helps shape its direction.

Gregg
    A. Garcia runs the GTV-6 in texas.

Back to my question.
    Where, what, and who with do Chris C. and Lee G. run?

I should probably say that I haven't seen Chris in a while, but the last time I did he was in a 944. After that I heard (thru the grapevine) that he was changing over to a 944S.

I hope so. Need more P-cars out there!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Jake
    If you want more ¡§P-cars¡¨ out there thank these 7 guys because they have played a big part in getting the 914 correctly classified to ITC and 924 correctly classed in ITB. And now with all the cars that have moved to ITA maybe the 944 will move as well. Before these guys Jake ¡§p-cars¡¨ could only win a rare race in ITS but now (sorry 2005) they will be able to win in three classes. How exciting.

[This message has been edited by Asok #25 (edited September 16, 2004).]

Originally posted by Asok #25:
    ... but now (sorry 2005) they will be able to win in three classes. How exciting.
    Well... they'll hopefully be able to be competitive in their respective classes... Moving cars so they could "win" is definately not one of the goals of the ITAC... Building competitive fields IS!

Thanks for the positive feedback...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Hi all,
    A little correction. I drive a 1986 Honda CRX Si 12 valve ex-Jim Dentici Firehawk car in ITA.
    Up here in CEN-DIV we get 25-40 cars in the IT group on average.
    I'll be doing my 9th race of the year on Oct 9th-10th at Blackhawk Farms. This will only be my 6th IT race as i, co drive a vintage car in enduros with VSCDA and SVRA

Bob Clark

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    Oh, I should probably add that I received my license for ICSCC in 1992, raced a Datsun 510 in ITC for a year, then raced a Mazda RX-3SP (essentially IT car with Wilwood front brakes and a 240+hp bridge-port 12A) in GT-3. I was out of race driving for a couple of years when I went back to school, and have been racing the 240SX since 1999...

Darin,

I thought you said you were converting your RX3 to EP in 2000? And where did you race that 240SX in '99? Sure wasn't IT.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Bill Miller:

Darin,

I thought you said you were converting your RX3 to EP in 2000? And where did you race that 240SX in '99? Sure wasn't IT.

Ya, you might be right... I think I may have still had the RX-3 in 2000, as I recall attending the Runoffs and talking to Don Girven concerning his RX-3... So it must have been in 2001 that I first raced the 240SX... Ya, that's right, because I've raced it for three seasons... Oh, and my first season in the car was actually in RS (Radial Sedan)... Still had the 12:1 motor in it then from it's World Challenge days...

Thanks for the correction...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX