Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: component removal

Default component removal

OK -I know you all recommend not listenning to you or anyone else when it comes to rules and regs, "refer to the book"...that said I'd like advice.

I'm building an ITS 93 325i. The car comes with optional systems like an on board computer, cruise control, and heated electric seats for example.

So when it comes to removing said systems is it safe in the case of the seats for example to remove the wiring harness associated with the seats from the fusebox to the switches in the center console and down to each seat?

Thanks for any feedback.

Well, with the warning that I'm probably not going to be the tech inspector in impound the day your car is protested (if it ever is, and I don't think you ever will be protested on your seats), and the further warning that the tech inspector doesn't make the final call on a car's legality, here goes: I've always read the rules such that if the good book says you can remove an item, you can remove all of the 'stuff' that makes the item work.

For example if you remove the radio, the radio power wire, connector, fuse, speakers, speaker wire and so forth can also come out.

YMMV.

------------------
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division

If a vehicle was offered by the manufacturer without said equipment (and as long as it is on the same spec line in the GCR), you can, as I understand it, use the update/backdate rule to remove/add optional equipment to your car. So, I think that you should be safe to remove these things as long as they offered a vehicle without them.

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Not that it matters at impound but I concur with both of the above.

K

So then it would seem that:

"Air bags shall be disarmed and may be removed."

means you can safely remove the computer, wiring and trigger units for the airbags. Is this a common interpretation of the rules?

Tyler

Again, I think that is a sound assumption but it's not my call. I did it so I am either (a) okay, or ( cheating.

K

Does that then mean that when removing the AC system, you can safely 86 the blower, the ducting and all associated grilles, controls and widgets??

I'm not trying to be a pain, I have often wondered if this was a method of getting rid of most of the clutter under the dashboard.

Now THAT I don't buy...

When I take out the ABS wiring and controller, I am simply putting it in the condition of a car that didn't come with that system in the first place.

Taking out parts that are associated with the ventilation system - were the car to not have AC - isn't the same thing to my mind. Others disagree on this point.

K

Originally posted by Knestis:
    When I take out the ABS wiring and controller, I am simply putting it in the condition of a car that didn't come with that system in the first place.
    Didn't you make a case that your car only came with ABS or am I not remembering correctly?

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Originally posted by slowguy:
    So then it would seem that:

"Air bags shall be disarmed and may be removed."

means you can safely remove the computer, wiring and trigger units for the airbags. Is this a common interpretation of the rules?

Tyler

I would say only if a version of your car came without an airbag. Otherwise, I'd say it has to be there.

Required or allowed removal of certain components does not mean you can remove the wiring for these components (IMHO) unless these were optional components on your car or another car on the same spec line.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

While the GCR says we can remove the A/C, it does not say we can remove the defroster, and specifically says the heater core must be in place.
    Therein lies the pisser. It takes hours to get the damn evaporator out, and then you have to put the whole air distribution box back in...
    Seriously though, you want to retain the blower and ducting--when it rains, the defroster is a godsend.
    Tak
    #29 ITA
    SFR SCCA

We've already beat the HVAC thing to death (I know, I started it). It pretty much came down to 2 lines of thinking and each side wasn't going to give into the other. If you want to rehash that, lets bring back that other thread.

The same arguement used for the HVAC could be used for the airbag. I don't think either side will give on that issue, either. Now, if the airbag was optional for your model/year, then it's an easy answer...

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Remove wires? I doubt it. And is it worth it?

Remove airbag, computer and sensors? Sure, that is how I would disarm it. I surely don't want the computer and sensors working and trying to ignite an airbag that isn't in the car.

Remove the Ventialtion system? No, the car came with a ventilation system regardless of wether it had AC or not. You COULD swap out to a heat only air box if the car came that way.

My 2cents.

Originally posted by apr67:

Remove the Ventialtion system? No, the car came with a ventilation system regardless of wether it had AC or not. You COULD swap out to a heat only air box if the car came that way..
    Don't forget, you can "make room" for a lower dash horizontal bar. And then there's the old "instrument" argument, but we wont go there.
    GRJ

Originally posted by Geo:
    Didn't you make a case that your car only came with ABS or am I not remembering correctly?
    You are not quite remembering correctly but my logic may still be hanging on the horns of an dilemma here...

I was arguing the position of the Acura GS-R (ABS only). The Golf/GTI 2.0 is offered without ABS, so I can personally take advantage of the up-/back-date rule.

Now, I DID take out the airbag controller and dash wiring harness. I've probably just become rules NERD protest bait.

K

EDIT - Dilemmas have horns, enigmas have antlers.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited August 17, 2004).]

Cripes. I didn't mean to stir the hornet's nest. Sorry about that. Thanks for the input though.

This does point out another aspect worth mentioning - it is nice to see people interested enough in keeping inline w/ the rules to publicly ask for clarification instead of just doing what they feel like. Afterall, if there was no regaurd for the rules it would Can-Am at a regional level. Isn't that what ITE is?

[B]I was arguing the position of the Acura GS-R (ABS only). The Golf/GTI 2.0 is offered without ABS, so I can personally take advantage of the up-/back-date rule.
    OK, I couldn't remember. So many arguments here to keep track of.

Now, I DID take out the airbag controller and dash wiring harness. I've probably just become rules NERD protest bait.
    Can you protest yourself?

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

Originally posted by MMiskoe:
    Cripes. I didn't mean to stir the hornet's nest. Sorry about that.
    Actually, this sort of discussion can be quite useful provided it doesn't become a Holy War. People can learn from such discussion all the time.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

Originally posted by Geo:
    Can you protest yourself?
    I can but my Mom said I'd go blind.

K

Originally posted by MMiskoe:
    This does point out another aspect worth mentioning - it is nice to see people interested enough in keeping inline w/ the rules to publicly ask for clarification instead of just doing what they feel like.
    In my case credit that to inexperience I guess ; )