Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Belt Rule

Default New Belt Rule

Hey All,
    It appears that after a several year absence, I'll prbably be running an event next month. So, What exactly is the rule change concerning Belts? My set is dated 4 years ago, so I'll be getting a new one (and a GCR) but for now, enlighten me?

Pretty simple...

Belts are only good for two years now (you can read the details in the August Fastrack), unless they are FIA approved belts, in which case they are good for 5 years. 5-points are OK for now, but after 2007, they will no longer be allowed (only 6 or 7-points)...

Now that I just bought my new FIA 5 point they will probably switch to 6 point next year.

sorry, couldn't resist.

Ben.

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    5-points are OK for now, but after 2007, they will no longer be allowed (only 6 or 7-points)...

OK, I'm stupid I just can't seem to figure out where a 7-point harness would go. Is there REALLY such a thing???

------------------
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 (finally)
    1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

Originally posted by Mike Spencer:
    OK, I'm stupid I just can't seem to figure out where a 7-point harness would go. Is there REALLY such a thing???
    5 point has one anti-sub strap in the crotch.
    6 point replaces the single crotch strap with 2 straps, each running from the lap belt attachment point, under the leg, and up to the lap belt.
    7 point adds the crotch strap back in.

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

AAAAAAAAAAH!

So in a 7-point, there are almost as many belts protecting the..... ummmm..... GENE POOL, as there are the whole rest of our bodies!

Well, I *GUESS* that's a good thing!

(Sorry! It's been a loooooong day at work)

------------------
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 (finally)
    1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

I just started using a 6pt harness after using a 5pt for 8+ years. I feel more secure with the 6pt. The issue with the 5pt was, as the shoulder belts were tightened, the angle of the crotch strap caused the lap belt to pull away from my body slighlty. Therefore, to feel the best, it was if I had to overtighten the lap belt to account for this "relaxation". (Note: I use a MOMO racing seat with the holes for the lap and crotch strap.) As the straps are tightened on the 6pt, the belts as a whole seem to pull the entire body against the seat. The only thing to be careful of, is to make sure everything is "situated" properly before tightening the straps. For those of you like me who weren't sure how to hook up the crotch strap on the 6pt, just hook it up to the same point as the lap belt. Run it through the same slots as the lap belt. You then "sit" on the belt, and attach everything like the 5pt. Because you eliminate an attachment point to the body, it is slightly easier to install.

With the 6-point option, the straps run essentially exactly like a parachute or climbing harness, around the meaty part of you thighs rather then your dainty bits. If you've never tried one, you will instantly like it better, I'll bet...

K

Originally posted by Knestis:
    .....rather then your dainty bits. ...

K
    Am I the only one who finds this term funny ?

After not having my "dainty bits" organized properly at Mid-Ohio and enduring some serious discomfort for a whole session (and then some) I welcome the switch to a 6-point!

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\"> Am I the only one who finds this term funny ?</font>
    We don't laugh at Kirk's jokes any more, it only encourages him further...

Who's calling my bits "Dainty"???

Harrruumph!

Indeed!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Either, (a)I got that term from an ancient episode of Monte Python's Flying Circus, ( I know my limitations, or © both.

K

I've got a cam-lock 5 point. Never looked at a 6 or 7 point. How do the under-leg belts attach at the center? Seems like I've heard that they attach to the lap belts (rather than to the cam lock), and that they could be added to a 5 point. I'm trying to figure out how that could work and still remain quick-release - especially on the lap belt that is permanently attached to the cam lock.

Thanks,

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

I've got a question about the new rule. I've got a Kirkey road race seat that has a center hole for the anti-sub belt. How is a 6 or 7 pt belt going to work any different for me than a 5 pt belt, if all of those belts are going to come up through the same center hole?

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

There are two basic designs - the "loop and D-ring" and "snap in." The snap-in style has two straps that run from the same pick-up points as the lap belts to a common metal tab that pokes into the bottom of the buckle. There are different types of tabs that differ in the angle at which they meet. This arrangement is typically thought of as an endurance harness.

The loop and D-ring type has two individual straps that run from the pick-ups and through rings sewed to the laps, which are then captured by the lap tabs in the buckle. These are WAY comfortable but are slow to get in and out of.

L

Kirk,

I understand that, but how will there be any difference if all of the belts come up through the center of the seat, in the front? Sure, they'll have more attachment points, but how will the way they are 'presneted' to the buckle be different than w/ a 5-pt?

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Knestis:
    There are two basic designs - the "loop and D-ring" and "snap in." The snap-in style has two straps that run from the same pick-up points as the lap belts to a common metal tab that pokes into the bottom of the buckle. There are different types of tabs that differ in the angle at which they meet. This arrangement is typically thought of as an endurance harness.
    So the common tab plugs into the same spot in the camlock as my 5-point crotch strap does. Got it.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">The loop and D-ring type has two individual straps that run from the pick-ups and through rings sewed to the laps, which are then captured by the lap tabs in the buckle. These are WAY comfortable but are slow to get in and out of.</font>
    Yikes, didn't follow that one. I think I got the D-ring part. Maybe you're not describing a camlock?

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">L</font>
    Who are you and what have you done with Kirk?

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

I recently bought the G-Force FIA 5-point and then substituted a double-point sub belt. Lot's cheaper than buying a 6-point plus it will probably sneak by tech in 2007 even though the sub belt is not FIA rated. Don't tell.

Oops. I left out that the crotch straps on a 6-pt. system follow the lap belts through the side holes in the seat. You sit on them. With some systems, the buckle can be attached to the V-shaped anti-sub strap assembly, with the laps and shoulders plugging in to it, or the latch may be on a lap, with the crotch tab (at the point of the V) plugging in. Look at http://www.willansharness.com/ - I have the LD6 enduro-spec harness that is like this, wiht two straps attached to a wide tab that plugs in the bottom of the camlock.

I'm talking about camlock belts in all cases. The loop-and-D-ring thing kind of has to be seen to be understood. Look at the Club 6 models on the Willans site.

BTW, I met John Fenning - the old dude who started Willans like 40 years ago - and his dedication and professionalism was enough to convince me to never buy anything but his stuff...

K