Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie car classification

Lots of stuff to think about.....Now that you mention it(HPDE), I was on the Hallet OK. site, and it sounded like you could show up with your street car and drive...is this what you are talking about????? No roll cages etc..............As far as renting, i'd be worried about damage( by me or someone else).....The latest issue of Sports Car has a sidebar about a guy that got started(in IT) for about $1300.00, he may not run at the front,but atleast he's on the track....kinda what i want to do.....I live in East Texas...AutoX in Dallas and Shreveport....

Thanks for all the suggestions

Originally posted by Gold Finger:
    (HPDE), I was on the Hallet OK. site, and it sounded like you could show up with your street car and drive...is this what you are talking about?????
    That's the deal. You'll have to make sure that the car is in good mechanical condition, and go through a technical inspection, but that's it in terms of the car. You'll also need an SA2000 helmet. If you're interested, take a look at our web site, as we've got articles about the HPDE events we've done:

http://www.NutDriver.org/hpde1.shtml

http://www.NutDriver.org/hpde2.shtml

http://www.NutDriver.org/hpde3.shtml

The latest issue of Sports Car has a sidebar about a guy that got started(in IT) for about $1300.00, he may not run at the front,but atleast he's on the track....kinda what i want to do.....
    You probably can't buy a built car for $1,300, but building your own car on that budget is a lot of hard work and time. You can easily find built IT cars for $5,000 and up, and for $3,500 and up almost as easily.

------------------
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing

.....The latest issue of Sports Car has a sidebar about a guy that got started(in IT) for about $1300.00, ...
    And I think the rule ought to be that anyone should be able to buy any of the GRM $2004 challenge cars for precisely that amount.

Figures like that don't do this sport or new drivers ANY good. A great friend of mine - and very early IT proponent - used to have a Rabbit that he'd take to auto shows. He'd stand there and swear up and down to people that they could "have one just like it" for $3000. Oddly, when it finally went up for sale a few years later, it was for twice that amount.

K

Well, as said before:

DON'T SKIMP ON YOUR SAFETY EQUIPMENT!!!

Plan to spend about $800-1000 just to get the gear you need to stay safe. While the car may be a consumable, the driver is not!

The SportsCar article, in my opinion, didn't stress enough that the owner of the $1300 RX-7 already had his safety gear from previous racing.

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Now that you mention it(HPDE), I was on the Hallet OK. site, and it sounded like you could show up with your street car and drive...is this what you are talking about????? No roll cages etc..............
    Hallet is a great track and has its own school, the Stephans Bros. School, which will count for your first SCCA school. Hallet also has it's own track series, COMMA. Entry fees are pretty cheap, lots of track time and the "Run whatcha brung" HPDE which is a hoot to watch. Something funny about watching a 72 Cutlass coming into "the bitch" trying to late brake some turbo'd import iron

------------------
    Scott Rhea
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

Izzy's Custom Cages

Try this link for NASA HPDE's...good luck

http://www.nasa-southeast.com/hpde.shtml

Gold Finger,
    The Accord is a good IT car. There are many inexpensive part cars out there and the car is very reliable. The problem is the car is currently in ITA. Please write a letter to the SCCA requesting the car be moved to ITB.

Once the car is correctly classed in ITB (hopefully for Jan. 2005) the Accord will be a very good IT car. There will still be stiff competition from the class leading Volvo and from the '87 Prelude, Golf III and Audi coupes.

If you have any questions about building the car just let me know.

Peter Keane
    Original Accord Owner.

Hey Peter, I was wondering if you'd pop your head in this thread. So you still have it hugh? Have you raced it recently or just the miata?

Take advantage of Peter's offer. He has a ton of knowledge to tap into. I've got some Accord / Prelude questions I would like to ask you as well...
    Dave

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Mr. Keane....I just purchased a parts car fo $50.00....it has a blown motor, but i'm going to get the front and rear suspension, tranny, etc..........Can i e-mail the SCCA about moving the car to another class or go old school and actually put pen to paper???

I really appreciate everyones help!

Gold Finger, you can email Jeremy at [email protected]

Dave, I will trade you answers to your questions for the spec on your 87 Prelude. Please email me at [email protected]

As for my Accord, I still have it. I pay $135.00 to keep it safely in a warehouse. My sister did race it last year at Daytona. We knocked the dust off of it and it ran all weekend with no trouble.
    PK

Fair enough. I'll send you the info. It would be very interesting to see what weight the Accord would come in...

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Speaking of getting started for cheap. I've decided to retire from SCCA Club racing and I have 3 race cars. Since everyone said you can't buy one for really cheap, I have a front running ITB Capri that I just ran this weekend so it is fully legal and meets all current regs. Fuel cell too. I'll sell it ready to race for $1,500. New wheel bearings, brakes, cylinders, rebuilt head just installed before the weekend. It's fast, handles well, let me know if you want more info. Oh, it's on the West Coast.

Joe Craven
    ITB Capri
    ITA Capri
    ITB VW GTI

Originally posted by Joe Craven:
    Speaking of getting started for cheap. I've decided to retire from SCCA Club racing and I have 3 race cars. Since everyone said you can't buy one for really cheap, I have a front running ITB Capri that I just ran this weekend so it is fully legal and meets all current regs. Fuel cell too. I'll sell it ready to race for $1,500. New wheel bearings, brakes, cylinders, rebuilt head just installed before the weekend. It's fast, handles well, let me know if you want more info. Oh, it's on the West Coast.

Joe Craven
    ITB Capri
    ITA Capri
    ITB VW GTI

"... I'll sell it ready to race for $1,500... if you want more info. Oh, it's on the West Coast....Joe Craven ITB Capri ITA Capri ITB VW"

That capri sounds like a good idea. email me.
    therooster<at>gis.net