Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carbon fiber door panels

Default carbon fiber door panels

i know the audi rs6 uses them (far from IT) and i was thinking of using carbon fiber on the roof and doors can i do it and if not why?

while it is a cool idea you can not as the gcr specs the material for both these aplications. guage panels however would look good.
    dick

Dude, you have GOT to get a GCR. Contrary to at least semi-popular opinion, the rulebook is your friend. It tells you everything you can do.

Furthermore, if you are still building a 944, you should spend the $100 to buy Jon Milledge's "ITS Organizer." It's worth the money.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Carbon fiber is a nasty material, and I personally think you don't want it anywhere near your body. If it gets into your body it is very hard to get out and your body just creates scar tissue around the CF splinters. Forever.

Its bad stuff.

Originally posted by apr67:
    Carbon fiber is a nasty material, and I personally think you don't want it anywhere near your body. If it gets into your body it is very hard to get out and your body just creates scar tissue around the CF splinters. Forever.

Its bad stuff.
    So don't chew it.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Hell..it's no worse than using depleted Uranium for ballast...right?

Don't waste your money on bling-bling crap. Remember it's a RACE CAR. While your at it, go ahead and wire the fluorescent lights on the bottom of your car, so it will be seen during the night enduro's.

Just kidding.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

your not supposed to use depleted Uranium for ballast? I use it for interior illumination for night enduros.

so i guess its a no go on CF i dident want "bling bling" i have maybe 13 old hoods (every year people come back and but new one and leave there old hoods) and racer_tim i dont know if you know what a "RACE CAR" should look like but i was at the Canadian Grand Prix and saw almost all of the F1 cars were CF maybe you should go and tell Michael Schumacher and Ferrari that you know more than them and they forgot the cool underglow HeHe also i am still building the car slow as all hell maybe next year(for this year my shop has twin S4 with ko4's lovly!)

Please, please re-read your comments before you post them. It drives me nuts to read them!! Maybe you should enter them in Word then do spell check??? Holly crap!

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

[This message has been edited by JLawton (edited June 17, 2004).]

I have a carbon fiber passenger door panel, but I have the required aluminum behind the carbon fiber. Yes, it can be looked at as overkill or bling bling, but I and everyone else that has seen it says it adds a clean, finished look to the car.

A passenger door panel or gauge panel are about the only CF panels you can add in IT, and only if the stock door panel won't let the door close due to the cage.
    Roof=illegal
    door skins=illegal

[This message has been edited by TBreu007 (edited June 19, 2004).]

Why not simply use that CF "decal" material?

You can do the hood, fenders, doors, etc.

Hey neat idea...I got to look into it myself...

Posted by TBreu007
    ***I have a carbon fiber passenger door panel, but I have the required aluminum behind the carbon fiber. Yes, it can be looked at as overkill or bling bling,
    A passenger door panel or gauge panel are about the only CF panels you can add in IT, and only if the stock door panel won't let the door close due to the cage.***

Please help me with the rule that allows a CF door panel........

Have Fun
    David

Originally posted by ddewhurst:
    Posted by TBreu007
    ***I have a carbon fiber passenger door panel, but I have the required aluminum behind the carbon fiber. Yes, it can be looked at as overkill or bling bling,
    A passenger door panel or gauge panel are about the only CF panels you can add in IT, and only if the stock door panel won't let the door close due to the cage.***

Please help me with the rule that allows a CF door panel........

Have Fun
    David

David,

Re-read his post. He has the legal aluminum behind it - so he effectively has added a CF cover to his legal door panel.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    FLATOUT Motorsports
    New England Region

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    David,

Re-read his post. He has the legal aluminum behind it - so he effectively has added a CF cover to his legal door panel.

AB

How is that legal?

How is it NOT legal????

If he wants to put his old interior door panel over that, he could right?

Or are you suggesting that it doesn't say you CAN put anything in your interior, so therefor you can't?

(and even a rules nerd would probably look the other way over a CF skin that is redundant)

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Rule says you make make a door panel and specs the material. You may use either the oem door panel, or the spec'd replacement.

I can see that putting a sticker (CF looking) would be ok, because you can paint or plate anything, but this is a stretch.

Alan

I think it sets a bad precedent. The same stretched logic would let me put strips of stick-on vortex generators on the trailing edge of my roof and call them "graphics."

K

And the spec'd replacement material is there and legal. The CF is a 'cover' for asthetics only. What performance advantage could you argue was being made?

So stickers in the interior, camera mounts, communication infrastructure and anything comfort, convienence and decor-related is illegal? THAT is a stretch.

It's a cover on a legal component. Come on.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    ITS RX-7 & Spec Miata 1.6
    New England Region R188967

Its like paint on your roll cage!! he he!By the book its not legal Don't hit me.Or intake manifolds ceramic coated on the exterior only...just had to say that...