Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carbon fiber door panels

The GCR doesn't say anywhere that you can put air in your tires either (let alone nitrogen).

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Just picking on you Andy...

Where does it say that stickers in the interior are okay? It doesn't say you can, so many would say you can't because of IIDSYCYC however;

ITCS 17.1.4.D.9.g "....other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted"

says you can't!

Further many of us would argue that the sticker is a competitive advantage as it is common knowledge that the more stickers the faster you are.

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    ?

...... THAT is a stretch.

It's a cover on a legal component. Come on.

AB

C'mon, Andy...its a sneaky way of putting ballast where you want it! You know what a high weight density CF has!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited June 23, 2004).]

If I glued the funny papers to the outside of that aluminum door panel, would anyone argue its legality?
    I hardly think that two layers of carbon fiber mat I made into a door panel is adding any structural rigidity and competitive advantage.

That's not the point. The GCR specifically says that it is not necessary to demonstrate a performance advantage of an illegal modification, only that it's not allowed.

This is the Internet so as I've pointed out often - not the real world - but the real issue is the "slippery slope." If something beyond the rules is allowed by post hoc interpretation and results in either (a) unintended consequences, or ( some other incremental change that does produce a benefit. That process is detrimental to the category over the long haul.

Now, in the REAL world you do whatever the heck you want - but you asked here. If you don't get the answer you want, ignore it. If you are looking for validation to take to the real world, you are sadly mistaken: A web board opinion supporting what you want to do is no more valid than those telling you that you can't.

K

Personally, I would not care if you covered the al with cf. But its not legal, and just saying it isn't a performance advantage doesn't change it's legality.

Camera mounts are allowed. The rules also say you can paint or plate anything, so painting the cage is allowed.

I would never put CF anywhere near my body, especially if it was only for 'bling bling' affect. And you stated it is for bling bling since you stated it doesn't provide a performance advantage.

Have a nice day.

***It's a cover on a legal component. Come on.***

Andy, per ITCS rule 17.1.4.D. please specify the rule by number that allows CF cover over alum or CF as a cover over the OEM panel.

***The GCR doesn't say anywhere that you can put air in your tires either (let alone nitrogen).***

George, what was the OEM product used to inflate the tires when the car came from the factory ?

Are the two of you still part of the ITAC ?

Have Fun
    David

Originally posted by ddewhurst:
    George, what was the OEM product used to inflate the tires when the car came from the factory ?
    It certainly wasn't nitrogen.

Originally posted by ddewhurst:
    Are the two of you still part of the ITAC ?
    Yep. So far we've managed to stay at least one step ahead of the pitchforks and torches.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

air Noun.
    A colorless, odorless, tasteless, gaseous mixture, mainly nitrogen (approximately 78 percent) and oxygen (approximately 21 percent) with lesser amounts of argon, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, neon, helium, and other gases.

I still don't see your logic in that a carbon fiber sticker is a covering like paint (and legal) and an actual piece of carbon fiber covering something is illegal. I'll run it until someone files a petty protest and wins.

FWIW, carbon fiber isn't all that bad for you. Before working with it, I researched all I could on its effects on the human body. From what I found, it's no worse than regular old fiberglass. I was worried about lung damage if it was inhaled, but all I read says no special precautions are necessary...still a particle mask is a good idea if grinding or cutting it.
    The body will build scar tissue around anything foreign...not just CF.

Originally posted by apr67:
    air Noun.
    A colorless, odorless, tasteless, gaseous mixture, mainly nitrogen (approximately 78 percent) and oxygen (approximately 21 percent) with lesser amounts of argon, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, neon, helium, and other gases.
    So how does this justify filling tires with nitrogen?

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

I have been looking for years for OEM Nissan and Mazda "air" for the tires. Since the GCR doesn't say that I can replace this air with aftermarket air, one can only assume that I must use factory air.

Jim
    King S.A.

Originally posted by its66:
    I have been looking for years for OEM Nissan and Mazda "air" for the tires. Since the GCR doesn't say that I can replace this air with aftermarket air, one can only assume that I must use factory air.

Jim King S.A.
    I know this is all tongue-in-cheek, but before anybody starts taking it TOO seriously, take a look at the INTENT section in the front of the ITCS.

<ahem>
    Other than those specifically allowed by these rules, no component or part normally found on a stock example of a given vehicle may be disabled, altered, or removed for the purpose of obtaining any competitive advantage.

The GCR does go on to define component as "A constituent part of an assembly." It does not define "part".

Either way, calling "air" a part or component would be like calling a HANS device a should...... um..... never mind!

------------------
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 (almost)
    ITS RX-7 (just started)
    1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

Originally posted by Mike Spencer:
    ...Either way, calling "air" a part or component would be like calling a HANS device a should...... um..... never mind!

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

[This message has been edited by gsbaker (edited June 24, 2004).]

***creating and spreading mischief and mayhem***

I'll buy that its66/Jim

Continue the Fun
    David

***creating and spreading mischief and mayhem***

Hey David,
    That's my line ...
    Jim

If I see that old Nissan air in your new Mazda's tires, I'll protest you...that's a definite performance enhancement

Don't forget that you can still protest non-OEM windshield wipers.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

its66 Jim, I know because it came from your profile.

Have Fun
    David