Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The new ITA class

Default The new ITA class

Guys this is about to get interesting, most of us wanted a change, some didnt, Kirk said "be careful what you wish for", well the genie is out of the bottle. the proposed new classifications into ITA,

http://www.scca.org/news/tech/fastrack/04-...05-fastrack.pdf

in my opinion are going to create some new overdogs out of the box but with weight adjustments I think ITA will be a better place eventually. anyone ready to build a Z3 at $30,000 out of the gate?

IMHO the new ITA entries are right on target. They are all cars that are appropriately matched to the CRX, Integra, 240SX and Miata, but I don't think any of them will be a new overdog. Note that the BMW is the early Z3 that was 138hp and it has a spec weight of 2675lbs.

However, the old-school ITA crew of RX7's, MR2's, etc. are increasingly comical amung the new rejuvinated ITA that looks much like how Kirk saw IT2.

I would definitely like to see a 1991 Perlude Si in ITA. Good ride.....

The old-school ITA crew of RX7's, MR2's, etc. are increasingly comical amung the new rejuvinated ITA that looks much like how Kirk saw IT2.

I agree with that... a lot.

Raymond

Except IT-2 was designed as a FWD only class. The theme Kirk pushed of giving this 'breed' of car a proper place to play is valid if not so exclusive.

PCA's could help the quickly falling ITA cars if they go through and demand was high enough.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

All I know is that a whole bunch of discarded SS Neons just got a 2nd lease on life.

The 4 door SOHC looks extremely good (on paper) for ITA. The DOHC car is classified too heavy, but at least its finally properly classified.

Scott, who would think very seriously about an ITA 4 door ACR if he were building a car right now.

Originally posted by Catch22:
    The DOHC car is classified too heavy, but at least its finally properly classified.
    The SOHC makes 138 stock hp, and the DOHC car makes 150... That's more than the 240SX in stock trim... It may prove to be too heavy, but it's not that far off... Both should be a great addition to ITA...

As for the Z3... It's only 1.9L and, as pointed out, makes 138hp out of the box... If anything, it's classified a little too heavy... BUT, it should at least be able to achieve it's minimum weight...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Originally posted by Catch22:
    All I know is that a whole bunch of discarded SS Neons just got a 2nd lease on life.

And THAT is the point of all of this...to return IT to it's roots, while recharging it. So far, so good.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I'll betcha that James Clay can find someone willing to spend the dough necessary to build a really correct Z3. If OPM and others can get $20K+ for a Spec Miata...

Re: the IT2 question, I'm picturing the next wave of moves being from the bottom of A into be, a la the FX16 - leaving the "New A" pretty much where IT2 was designed to be.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, being a liberal and all. I'm reminded of the old plumber's axiom that "[sewage] flows downhill" - that the new order of things came at the expense of the entrants already marginalized in A. They will be getting the stinky end of the stick, certainly for the short term as the promise of adjustments and/or downward moves shakes out.

They may be totally dorked, if leadership/policy/enthusiasm changes and they don't get follow-through or if their tubs rust away while they're waiting.

K

as a ita rx7 guy i know i just got pushed down the food chain. At least they left the mr2 that i can try to beat up on (joke jake). but I am optimistic that this is the first wave and i have a chance to come back. now should i lobby to move to b and start saving for new wheels or should i start lobbying for a new alternate carb and start saving for that.
    dick

Originally posted by dickita15:
    Now should i lobby to move to b and start saving for new wheels or should i start lobbying for a new alternate carb and start saving for that.
    dick
    You are already allowed to run one of the "approved listed alternate carbs"... Sure you don't want to try a nice 32/36 DGB???

Seriously... we have a long way to go. Believe me when I say that ITB and ITC are well represented, and their interests are at the forefront of many of these discussions amongst the ITAC members. That is likely why you didn't see the MR2 moved, even though it makes a lot of sense on paper.

Give us some time to work on these issues, because no one wants to make a gross mistake...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited March 25, 2004).]

The only thing I can think of worse than being stuck in the new ITA is going to ITB and pissing ITB off because they think my car is an overdog and/or they think I lobbied (Kirk's fear) to get it done. If the RX7 and MR2 are to find a better fit, it has to be done very carefully. My gut feel is that another 100lbs and 6" wheels will make them both fit into B. But in reality, that should be up to ITB drivers.

Originally posted by Jake

If the RX7 and MR2 are to find a better fit, it has to be done very carefully. My gut feel is that another 100lbs and 6\" wheels will make them both fit into B. But in reality, that should be up to ITB drivers.

Just curious, why should it be up to ITB drivers? Me thinks it should be up to everyone -except- ITB drivers and drivers of those ITA cars affected by any move. Otherwise, there are some -really- impartial folks making the decision. I'll bet if it had been left up to a crowd of ITA CRX drivers to make the go/no go decision on the things that just showed up in the FastTrack, well, there wouldn't be anything about IT in the FastTrack!

I don't figure if the RX-7 and 240Z guys had all the say the E36 Bimmer would have ever landed in ITS, correctly spec'ed or not.

I really do agree though, Jake, that a hundred pounds or so and narrower rubber would make the RX7 and MR2 great ITB cars but not overdogs. Maybe 150 or so lbs and the 1g CRX Si / 3g Civic Si, as well. As long as there is a system for later adjustment, why not?

------------------
    Richard Floyd
    '86 Acura Integra LS #90
    SCCA ITA / NASA ECHC H5

He he, time to change the signature! Sold that "should be in ITB" 1g Integra! Didn't figure it actually had a chance of ever getting moved! LOL!

Actually I sold it for business reasons, but the new owner must be really optimistic right now. At 2550 or so pounds and in ITB that car actually may have a chance at a podium!

Funny enough, I'm looking to get back int IT in a couple years, and I was considering IT7. Now if the RX7 -does- ever get moved to ITB..... whoa Nelly.

------------------
    Richard Floyd
    '86 Acura Integra LS #90
    SCCA ITA / NASA ECHC H5

On the discussion of moving the rx-7's to B I do not aggree. I currently run an ITB Mustang and I run 225/50 14s and have a very hard time even coming close to the mid pack 7's running on 225 50 13s. Rim width will not effect the tire size at all. I also don't believe that 100lbs is enough of a balist for a car like this to compete in ITB

"The only thing I can think of worse than being stuck in the new ITA is going to ITB and pissing ITB off because they think my car is an overdog and/or they think I lobbied (Kirk's fear) to get it done. If the RX7 and MR2 are to find a better fit, it has to be done very carefully. My gut feel is that another 100lbs and 6" wheels will make them both fit into B. But in reality, that should be up to ITB drivers."

Jake, you're kidding right? Or still upset that the MR2 isn't going to ITB as it stands right now. Leave it up to ITB drivers? Ummm, yeah, o.k. Or leave it up the ITA drivers? I was really surprised to hear this.

I agreee, I don't want to piss off ITB drivers either but if the car truely should be there and they are still mad I would wonder why. Because they honestly don't think the car should be there or are threatened by the driver or the car? And I am not just talking about my car here.

I have not seen one car that is being reclassified that I don't agree with. Maybe a few that I think should have been reclassified and didn't.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    You are already allowed to run one of the "approved listed alternate carbs"... Sure you don't want to try a nice 32/36 DGB???
    sure can I run 4 of them

RF- You are correct, it, of course has to do with the people that are being moved too.

I guess what I'm saying is this: If ITB drivers don't have a problem with a car dropping from A to B, I don't see where there is a problem at all with such a move. If ITB drivers are screaming bloody murder - then we need to rethink. In other words, if the only people who could possibly be negatively affected by a change are ok with it, then there is no downside to the change.

A good example is Greg's Nissan. I have NEVER found ANY ITA driver that had a problem with him moving from ITS to ITA. That fact alone, should have been a major reason to reclass.

Originally posted by Rabbit07:
    On the discussion of moving the rx-7's to B I do not aggree. I currently run an ITB Mustang and I run 225/50 14s and have a very hard time even coming close to the mid pack 7's running on 225 50 13s. Rim width will not effect the tire size at all. I also don't believe that 100lbs is enough of a balist for a car like this to compete in ITB
    i am suprised on the tires. i run 225/45/13 on 7" wheels and the tire guys hate me. i would assume with 6" wheels i would have to go to 205's.
    also times for it7 vs itb seem pretty close from what i have seen.
    dick

Originally posted by rabbit07

True, wheel width won't make as much difference. And I don't think 100 lbs is enough either. When I wanted to get my 1g Integra reclassed I supposed that about 150-175 lbs would be more like it, and would be easily acheivable through replacing many of the various components that I had removed (spare tire, jack, etc) as well as running the max ballast. Of course, I had a huge accusump and a cage some birds couldn't find their way out of, but about 2530 or 2555 was doable.

------------------
    Richard Floyd
    '86 Acura Integra LS #90
    SCCA ITA / NASA ECHC H5

[This message has been edited by RFloyd (edited March 25, 2004).]