Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Classifications

Default Car Classifications

Is there a place online where all the cars classified in IT are listed?
    I didn't know if SCCA had such a thing up.

In a side note, was there a 94+ Honda Accord Classified in ITB? I know its SCCA and Hondas don't get put into ITB but I was hoping.

The car classifications are on the SCCA web site. www.scca.org

(Sorry, don't have the direct link)

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Any luck with a link?

I looked and didn't come up with anything. The "garage" area has the fastracks.

Anyone know of any site that has a complete up to date list of all the cars and their spec weights?

TIA

Does anyone race really old cars anymore? What is the oldest car in ITC for example? I have seen some old race cars like VW Beetles, 510s, and RX3s on other websites, but have not really seen them on here. Do they still run in sparse numbers? Have they been banished to the Vintage Series? Just curious after reviewing the classification page, and realizing that I don't see many of the legal cars.

PFM Racing is/was running a 71(?) Fiat 124 in ITC. AFAIK, it hasn't seen the track since early 03 when Bryan Cohn drove it to a win at Gateway.

The PL-510 is still one of THE cars to have in ITC.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

I have LONG thought that a well-built 124 Sport Coupe would be a racuous ITC car. The effort would require all of the dead Fiats in the USA be brought together in one back yard but...

K

Ridiculously Raucous Rust Bucket, yes it would. Wow...a 124 Coupe....haven't even seen one in a JUNKYARD in a long time.

To answer the question, there's probably more early 70s iron racing than you would think. I know of a couple of Opel Mantas and an Opel GT in the Northeast racing. Down south we have at least 3 RX3s, one in MARRS and two in SARRC. There is a smattering of 2002s in most regions, all of which are early 70s cars., and some of which are competitive. There are still some good looking Datsun 510s, and even a B210, running around.

But the flagship for the dinosaur crowd has to be the Volvo 142. There are three of them that run up frontin ITB here in the SEDiv. Great sounding flying bricks.

Never seen a VW Beetle race car. Not sure that I want to.

The old cars have soooo much more style, more pinach more flair just ask any of us building or driving one.
    They also attract attention...and we all like to be the center of attention

Originally posted by JeffYoung:
    Never seen a VW Beetle race car. Not sure that I want to.
    The Beetle has the distinction of being the first car to flip at Lime Rock, (in the downhill) at the tracks first ever event, an SCCA school, in 1957.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Never seen a VW Beetle race car. Not sure that I want to.</font>
    There was one running IT in Texas Region in the late 80's, early 90's. Nice guy, but the car wasn't suited to racing. His biggest problem was (drum) brakes; he kept wearing through and separating the lip from the hub *each session*.

It was interesting to watch him, it actually looked fun! Never saw much after that, though.

Greg

Dan Patelson used to run a Beetle ("Herbert")in GT-5, mostly in NEDiv Nat'ls, up until about 5 years ago, and I think he took it to the RunOffs at least once. Not fast, but it had character. He ran Datsun 1200 ("Otis") the last few years, also in GT5, and had a great dice going at the RunOffs in 2003 until he broke a suspension piece.

Dan passed away this spring, but everytime I see an old Beetle, I think of him.

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited May 26, 2004).]

There was a GT Beetle running in Oregon in the '80s, with ICSCC. We ran an enduro that it entered and they popped and installed two additional engines (blew up a total of three) during the race, before giving up. Oiled the crapola out of the track, to the degree that a lot of the WMRRA motorcycle guys who showed up the next day didn't even practice.

K

Talked to the webmaster yesterday. The car classification database is off the website TFN. He said it was way out dated. They are working on a new more user friendly application. No date for it's return.

It should only take a couple of days for a clever person to build a database-driven page that loads the actual content out of an electronic version of the GCR.

A TRULY effective use of the technology would include a form system for members to report and correct errors, and provide documentation to support them.

Combine this with an email subcription system to provide licensed tech people with up-to-the-minute specs and we'd have fewer issues with the rulebook.

K

Kirk, do you know of an electronic version of the GCR other than the PDF that comes on the CD? Since PDF is a bastardized Postscript format, I can't see it being all that easy to reliably pick out the classification tables from the rest of the data in the PDF file. The basic database application, after you have the data, is no big deal at all.

------------------
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing

Sorry - I meant a *mythical* electronic databased version of the IT specs pages portion of the GCR...

K

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Sorry - I meant a *mythical* electronic databased version of the IT specs pages portion of the GCR...</font>
    :-) That's virtual in computer geek land.

------------------
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing

Originally posted by CaptainWho:
    :-) That's virtual in computer geek land.

Just a point of reference... The GCR spec lines begin life as Excel files I believe... Jeremy sent the ITAC a copy of them for IT to review for the 2004 copy of the GCR... I'm pretty sure that this is what they use to build the specs, then they convert them later for publishing... I would HATE to have to do it the other way around...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

My Buddy Steve Hoelscher (4-Time DSP solo II champ in a Fiat) sold his long time 124 Coupe to a guy in Brazil, said he had been looking forever for one.

Another friend just sold his G(?) Production X1/9 to a guy in Austrailia to fund his Spec Miata. Evidently their rules let them do quite a bit more to the motor, and X1/9s are the car to have...humm

My old Fiat 600D just went across the country to Utah..I feel cheated somehow...

Anyway, I seem to remember a guy running a 124 Coupe in ITB I think years ago. I seem to remember he did ok. Not counting Steve's, I can't remember the last time I saw a real live one.

As for older cars, we do have a member that runs an RX3 in ITA. Last year was his first year, and his first race this year will be in Memphis this weekend. Brakes aren't great, but it's very quick in a straight line.

Dave