Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Classification Request

Default Making a Classification Request

Just some helpful advice...

PLEASE, if you are going to request that a car be considered for classification, (maybe even reclassification), you HAVE to send in a completed Vehicle Technical Specification form. It will expidite the process, because it it's not there, the ITAC/CRB are going to return your letter and ask for one. Contrary to popular believe, we DON'T have all this information at our fingertips.

Please, contact Jeremy or the SCCA Technical department... or e-mail me for goodness sake, and ask that they (I) send you a copy of the VTS for to fill out BEFORE sending in your request. It will definately speed the process...

THANKS!

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Thanks Darin, hey I have a question for you, theres a 240SX around the corner from me I can get get for a couple hundred bucks, needs a qtr panel and it wont pass smog, how competitive are these cars in ITS/ITA and are they classified in production?. and, what years/models are better than others? also which years are rear wheel drive?. thanks in advance.

------------------
    Daryl Brightwell
    ITA RX7 #11
    NORPAC
    ITA RX7 #77
    SOPAC
    http://www.calclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=101&password=&sort=1&size= medium&cat=500&page=://http://www.calclub.com/gallery/show...m&cat=500&page=
    EP this summer

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited February 05, 2004).]

Originally posted by 7'sRracing:
    ... how competitive are these cars in ITS/ITA and are they classified in production?. and, what years/models are better than others?
    If it's an '89-'90, GO FOR IT for ITA. It's not the cheapest car to develop, but I have my connections, so doing it isn't tough.

If it's a '91 to '94, or '95-'98, then it's ITS. I think that it will eventually be a decent car. The '91-'94 models should be able to achieve minimum weight of 2650. The '95-'98 models, however, are heavier from the factory and I have my doubts that one could actually be brought down to minimum weight.

The advantage you will have in ITS with the '91-'94 model, besides weight, is that you will have the option of running the '91 camshafts, which had about 16 degrees more duration than the '92+ cams... Because of the "update/backdate" deal, you could use the '91 head up to '94. Of course, the '95-'98 model is longer, has a little wider track, and likely better aero, so it may be a wash.

For a couple of hundred bucks, I'd say GO FOR IT! It's a great car, and it's RWD... Best of all, it doesn't go "Brraap, Braaap-Braappp", or Zoom-Zoom...

Feel free to contact me privately if you have further questions or need more information...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited February 05, 2004).]

If I could find one for a couple hunnerd bucks, I'd buy it just so I could enter drift competitions...

K

Originally posted by Knestis:
    If I could find one for a couple hunnerd bucks, I'd buy it just so I could enter drift competitions...

K
    Hmmmm... Maybe we need to put the "Dual Purpose" statement back into the IT rules... Only this time "dual" would mean that you can trailer it right from the Drift competition to the Racetrack!

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Thanks, I have been thinking since last august that if my next rotobanger dosnt last longer than a pair of cheap sneakers all my 7's are getting V8's. I know how to build piston engines myself unlike the rotary, I could eliminate a big portion of my racing cost's. Im hearing it already, "Looky thure, the little Zip can's gotta Ferd init".

Originally posted by 7'sRracing:
    I know how to build piston engines myself unlike the rotary,
    To be honest with you... the Rotary isn't that much of a mystery to build, once you've had a couple apart. A cold refrigerator and a lot of vasoline, along with some careful measuring of the various seals, and you're in business...

However... Wait until you feel the torque of the KA24... It is Nissan's 4-banger truck motor, after all...

The 240 is an 89, I'll pick it up

Darin, can you send me one please? (this board doesn't show emails in our descriptions)

Please send to [email protected]

Thanks!

Diane
    #21 ITB NER-SCCA

Darin-
    Where are the procedures for requesting vehicle classification listed? I searched through the GCR (pdf) over and over and couldn't find anything. So I emailed Jeremy and he forward my letter/request onto John B. who then sent it on to the CRB for review. It's for the 99 Miata in ITS. Am I safe, or should I still request and fill in a VTS, the resubmit?
    thanks, Rob

Originally posted by M2cupcar:
    Darin-
    Where are the procedures for requesting vehicle classification listed?
    Good question... I've never looked.

There is a good bet that the VTS for your vehicle may be on file with the Technical department, since the car is currently in SS... If he can find it (keep in mind that they have recently moved and some things may have gotten misplaced), Jeremy or John can probably dig it up for you. It REALLY needs to be included with the request, because we can't possibly know the specifications for every car, and don't often have access to this stuff in a timely manner.

If you can get a copy ASAP, feel free to e-mail it to me and I'll get it to the entire ITAC to go along with your request...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Darin,

I am considering requesting a car model to be classified in IT that currently is not eligible (2000 model). It is also not currently classed in SS or T. Do I need to wait until it is eligible? Or do I need to get the ball rolling now so that I can hope to race it the first season it is eligible?

Do I need to state a case for the class I believe it should be listed in? Such as "Please consider adding the 96-2000 Honda Civic Couple HX model in ITC. I belive it would be a good fit with cars such as blah. blah. blah with very similar specs. Or do I submit the request for classification and cross my fingers they don't toss it in ITR ?

Thanks for your response...are the procedures outlined anywhere in the GCR? I looked as well and didn't find anything.

Originally posted by Quickshoe:
    I belive it would be a good fit with cars such as blah. blah. blah with very similar specs. Or do I submit the request for classification and cross my fingers they don't toss it in ITR ?
    That would work!

If you submit the car with as much VTS information as possible, I think you'll find that it should end up in the correct class... And I think you can submit that one at any time, since it should be eligible by 2006, right? I don't see any reason we can't get it on the books sooner.

The more factual information you can provide, the better for us to make a recomendation, so things like factory HP numbers, similiar platforms already classified and the differences between them, etc., all help to guide the car to the correct class...

Send it in!

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Darin,

Could you please send me a VTS form? I checked on the new website and didn't see it listed in the many available forms.

Thanks!

e-mail is quickshoe(at)earthlink(dot)net

Originally posted by Quickshoe:
    Darin,

Could you please send me a VTS form?
    You have mail!

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Thanks Darin,

You have mail as well.

Darin,
    Thanks for the guidance, its very helpful. SCCA workings are becoming less mysterious each day, which is a very good thing.

How about requesting a weight adjustment? Should you basically do the same thing as requesting a reclass?

Thanks,
    Scott

Originally posted by Catch22:
    How about requesting a weight adjustment? Should you basically do the same thing as requesting a reclass?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Well... since adjusting weights in IT is currently not legal... it doesn't really matter how you do it!

If PCAs get passed by the BoD in August, then I would strongly suggest that YES, you fill out a VTS sheet and provide any data you can that demonstrates the cars potential... Keeping in mind that the first thing looked at currently are the specifications of the car and how they match up with others in the class.

Also, thanks for the kind words... we're just trying to do our part to get these rules to make a little sense...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Darin,

I would like to see the VTS sheets on file made available to members, even if there is a fee attached for copying/mailing. Perhaps the new scca.com site, besides having a list of cars and classes they can run in, could have a link to access these sheets as pdf files. I'll volunteer to do the ITB files if they can be sent to me.

Dave Z

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    ...If PCAs get passed by the BoD in August, then I would strongly suggest that YES, you fill out a VTS sheet and provide any data you can that demonstrates the cars potential...
    That was the sound of a line being crossed.

I could be wrong but the suggestion here seems to be that members will be allowed to REQUEST that their car be considered for a PCA. From earlier conversations, I let proponents of this plan convince me that this would NOT be the case - that the trigger for the PCA process would be internal, generated by the ITAC.

IF this is the case - and PLEASE tell me one way or the other - then the only operative difference between "PCA" and "competition adjustment" is the timeline restrictions in the new plan. Right?

Kirk

(who is now worried again)