Originally posted by Eric Parham:
As far as I can tell, the ECU rule (1.a.6) does *not* actually say that the housing cannot be modified!
Does it have to say "you cannot modify this part or you will be sent to the gulag?"(sp?)

Indeed it does specify exactly what/where modifications may be performed.

"Fuel injected cars may alter or replace the engine management computer, or ECU, provided that all modifications are done within the original OEM ECU housing."

Again, all modifications must (emphasis mine - and the word must is a very important word in reading and interpreting the rules) be done within the original OEM ECU housing." Don't tell me that you'll just drill a hole from the inside. That would just be a stupid response.

There is nothing there which says you may modify the housing.

Furthermore, to add to Kirk's point, this rule and almost all the others fall within the heading "AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS." So, if it ain't in there, you can't do it.

I'm the first to look for a loophole. When people say IIDSYCYC, I look for where it says you specifically can and say "if it say you can, you bloody well can." It doesn't say that in this case.

And, as Jake said, intent does not enter in. Intent is something the rules makers must address when writing a rule. It should never be used for interpretation. Of course, if you find a clever loophole you run the risk of it being closed the following year so some clever loopholes can be expensive to undo.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com