Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cars legality?

Ray and Scott you both make some good points, wish I had all the answers, scott the nascar im refering to in local track USA with 4 or 5 catagorys with 125-150 cars, but they only do major inspections on the top 3 from each race, and why cant our regions hire tech inspectors, walk around your paddock and ask the 200-300 drivers if they would chip in $2.50 each to hire 2 tech guys per weekend to be the "bad guys". I dont have a solution everyone would agree with I know, but at least I dont sweep it under the rug.

edit to add
    it wouldnt eliminate 90%, non performance enhancing infractions need to be fixed prior to next race, performance enhancing infractions fixed prior to race or do not recieve official points/recognition for the race if you cant fix it prior to start. that way no one is sent home, just a thought.

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited March 04, 2004).]

Originally posted by 7'sRracing:
    13.1 anyone who has ANY interest in the race in question (driver, owner, crew, friends of crew, scca minor licenced 6 year old thats freinds with a drivers kid, or anyone affiliated in any way to that competition can protest with or without that drivers consent.
    "May protest any decision, act or omission..." Protests against automobiles are covered seperately in 13.4.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">love it when people only read what they want to see.</font>
    You do that quite well.....:-)

I stand corrected, car owners and drivers only, I was there when a mech who didnt own the car protested a another car and won, see, that even that gets f'ed up.
    thanks for straightening me out on that one Maddog, what kind of name is that? whats it stand for besides the obvious

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"May protest any decision, act or omission..." Protests against automobiles are covered seperately in 13.4.</font>
    Oops. I missed 13.4. Mea culpa.

Ray, did you say that if a car's engine was protested it would be broken down then rebuilt?

Hey, I'll admit it, my car is .60 over and has every illegal part. If you feel you must protest my engine and have it rebuilt, I guess I won't be too mad.

(just trying to get a free rebuild - maybe it could work?)

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Originally posted by 7'sRracing:
    ....Maddog, what kind of name is that? whats it stand for besides the obvious
    Some say it reflects my ability to play nicely with the other children. Others say it describes my usual sunny and cheerful disposition.

However I seldom foam at the mouth. :-)

Originally posted by gran racing:
    Ray, did you say that if a car's engine was protested it would be broken down then rebuilt?

Hey, I'll admit it, my car is .60 over and has every illegal part. If you feel you must protest my engine and have it rebuilt, I guess I won't be too mad.

(just trying to get a free rebuild - maybe it could work?)

Umm, well, no. Actually, since you admit your guilt, you'll get penalized by the SCCA and he will get his money back in full.

Sorry (couldn't tell if you were yanking some chains or not, so this isn't too serious of a post).

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Yeah, just kidding. My engine is all too legal but hoping for a free rebuild. You know, get someone to think it is illegal and have them protest it, find out it is legal then rebuild it for me. Just couldn't help it.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

No free rebuilds

I thnk that most of the top IT cars are in it enough to pay for their own rebuilds and/or do it themselves, to prove legality.

I like that at the ARRC the top 3 are torn down, but I don't think that is feasable at all regional races (although should be required to increase prestige at races such as the NARRC runoffs).

What I said before is that we as drivers should take advantage of being able to govern our own races.

Here is a better example of what could work:

Everyone racing in a particular class gets 1 vote (ballot) and puts into a hat that 1 suggestion that they think should be checked for legality (I will supply an RST Performance Racing bright yellow Audi hat if need be!!! ). At the end of the race 1 thing is pulled from the hat and the top 3 cars are checked (along with any record breakers). If their isn't anybody who cares about cams the suggestion isn't in the hat and can't be picked. If everyone does care about cams and nothing else, well then that is what will get picked. The more people who are concerned about a specific thing, the better the chances are that it will be checked. This is one way that the specific drivers of specific races can address their specific concerns about legality of the specific people thay are compeating against.

Just droping more thoughts

Raymond Blethen

Raymond, I like that, and the fact that its random would do what we all want.

I had another idea that could be implemented in conjuction with the Saturday worker bash: IT Legality Bingo

Participants bring their cars to a central location (probably near the beer) and the master of ceremonies passes the hat among the audience members, who put in slips of paper of non-teardown things to check: Washer bottle present, passenger window works, etc...

As the MC pulls options out of the hat, all participants demonstrate to the audience members near them that they comply. Any that don't are out and would know what to fix.

At the end, the remaining entrant gets a donated prize.

This wouldn't resolve the "big" issues but would be a voluntary, entertaining way to create an atmosphere where being legal was recognized and appreciated.

Or it might end in a fist fight but it would still be entertaining.

K

I know that in some of the SW division races in the past, they would impound the whole run group of say ITA, SRX7, ITB, ITC and go and check a few items like what Kirk says. The bigger things would have to be corrected before the race (if there was a safety issue or big performance advantage issue) and the minor things would get written up into the logbooks to be corrected by next event. They would check things like ride height, having the workshop manual, secondary actuation on carb'ed cars, intakes, contact path outside the fender edge, etc.

I think most people would be willing to pay a couple more bucks per race entry fee to help get the resources to do something like this. The hardest part is going to be finding the people to do the tech inspector work.

------------------
    Ony Anglade
    ITA Miata
    Sugar Hill, GA

IT legality bingo sounds like fun.

Would I get protested for stuffing the ballot box/hat?

------------------
    Nico
    KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
    [email protected]

Bingo is a great idea, but remember, the guy with the most things wrong gets off with fixing just one!

Ony, we have done that here in the NE too, and I love it. it certainly doesn't catch everything, but it does help remedy certain issues, as you pointed out. Sometimes the infraction is a complete shock (and embarassment to the competitor who is only too happy to fix it post haste. And repeat offenders become obviuous. Where theres smoke, there is often fire........

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Originally posted by manny:
    [i'm not new to building engines but when the same motor is sitting next to you in the false grid area and this thing is rocking like a monster a wont even idle under 1500 rpm then that makes me think,thats all. B]
    To digress- Is it not true that ignition timing, which is free) and even fuel mixture (which is free) may cause a rough idle. I run a stock cam, but on the Ford 1.6, we must boost ignition timing 300% which produces quite a rough idle and with a cold engine requires idling at 1500 rpm to keep things running smoothly. I guess what I'm saying is that what sometimes appears (or sounds) to be "obviously" illegal is not always illegal, and the results of legal tweaks may produce different-from-stock perceptions.
    GRJ
    GRJ