Thread: Can we run smaller wheels?

Default Can we run smaller wheels?

I just bought a 1995 Eclipse RS, the GCR specs call for 16" wheels, I know we can't run larger, but I would like to run smaller wheels than 16" for 3 reasons, weight, gearing, and cost. I already pay top dollar for my autocross tires (HS Protege5, must use stock size 16" wheels) I would rather not spend the money for my first set of tires that I'm going to burn up in the 2 driving schools this fall I plan on attending...I do plan to autocross this car as well.

Now THAT'S ironic - given the conversations elsewhere on this subject.

Short answer is 'Nope.'

Kirk

eMkay,

Are 16" the only available factory wheel that was offered on this car, or were they a package option for the RS? If you can show the CRB that the car came from the factory with 15" wheels AND 16" wheels, then you can have 15" added to the spec line.

This is just the oposite scenario that I had with the 95+ 240SX, and I sent in a copy of the sales brochure and workshop manual to show that indeed both sizes were "as delivered in the US"...

That would be your only ticket... Unless of course we pass a new wheel rule... then you could pay even MORE money on 17"!

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Auburn, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

eMKay, I beleive you can do SCCA schools with smaller wheels. Check with the people that will be running the school. So if ya had free smaller wheels have at it for the school.

Have Fun
    David

Correct. To run in the school, the car doesn't have to be legal, it just needs all the safety equipment.

You might literally "burn them up" if they are an autocross compounded tire!

Watch out. Of course if it is fairly chilly during your school, they would work fine.

Good Luck!

caliper clearance...........

Originally posted by joeg:
    You might literally "burn them up" if they are an autocross compounded tire!

Watch out. Of course if it is fairly chilly during your school, they would work fine.

Good Luck!
    Well, I wouldn't use my autocross tires, just saying that they are expensive.

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    eMkay,

Are 16" the only available factory wheel that was offered on this car, or were they a package option for the RS? If you can show the CRB that the car came from the factory with 15" wheels AND 16" wheels, then you can have 15" added to the spec line.

This is just the oposite scenario that I had with the 95+ 240SX, and I sent in a copy of the sales brochure and workshop manual to show that indeed both sizes were "as delivered in the US"...

That would be your only ticket... Unless of course we pass a new wheel rule... then you could pay even MORE money on 17"!

I checked, the RS actually came with 14" wheels! Screw it, I'm running the 14" wheels for the schools, by the time next season rolls around maybe the issue will be settled.