Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel diameter rule change Poll

Oh yeah - Diamond racing wheels are available (in theory). They are said to be able to make 14x7's with a FWD center. Over 17lbs a wheel for steel wheels that need special lugs and that aren't hubcentric. Again, these are CUSTOM made wheels.

Dave, thanks for the offer. Right now my 4th 14x7 wheel is getting repaired. Should cost about $125 to get the one wheel fixed. So soon I'll be racing at 100mph on "repaired" wheels. Hope they stay together at speed. Thanks SCCA!!

True - 14x6 wheels are fairly easy to find. I'll be happy if they require MR2's to only use only 14x6 and put us in ITB!

Originally posted by Bill Miller:

Why wouldn't they be legal Darin?
    That's why I had the big ??? mark... I wasn't sure... I thought I had read in the GCR/ITCS that wire wheels weren't permitted, but I just looked and can't seem to find anything pertaining to that, so I guess they are...

DJ

My memory is suspect but I seem to remember that there WAS a rule prohibiting wire wheels, probably 20 years ago...?

K

Originally posted by SpeedyDave:
    FWIW, I think the reason the board has said wheels are available is that it is fairly easy to get 14x6 wheels, but of course everyone wants the limit of the rules with for ITA is 14x7.

It wouldn't surprise me. It's like classifying a car at a weight that it won't be able to reach.

Maybe my next letter should be to ask to change the rule to say that ITA cars can't run wheels wider than 6" because running 14x7" in today's world is against the philosophy of the class.

------------------
    Ony

Or better yet, maybe they'll allow my MR2 to run 14.5" wheels, but put me in ITS - and then (just to even things out) lower my min weight to 500lbs!

Rota Slipstreams.....ahh but they're 15x7 not 14x7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting
    Last edited by Domino; 04-22-2009 at 12:24 PM.

I just want to be the first to post in the new year to a thread that began last July and now runs 5 pages.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Lets see if we can actually get this thing to 6 pages Gregg!

Ok, seems like a lot of us are in favor of some form of relaxed diameter rule, and we think that the CB is well, incorrect in their assertation that supply of all sizes is adequate.

But...how many of us have actually written? And, what'd ya say? (if you don't mind disclosing!)

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Well said Jake. There seems to be a lot of interest in this, but I'm not sure how many people wrote to the SCCA. Let's start a running total of how many people actually wrote. I'll start. From the first post you get the jist of what I said. I proposed to open up wheel diameter completely but keep the width rules.

1 (starting the running total)

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited January 02, 2004).]

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    But...how many of us have actually written? And, what'd ya say? (if you don't mind disclosing!)
    Normally I would not disclose specifics of things I've communicated in an official capacity with the CRB. But, since I'm championing this crusade I will.

I have made clear to the appropriate people on the CRB that the situation is not what they think it is. I made quite clear that the only 14x7 wheels available are Panasports, a specialty motorsports wheel by any definition. I further explained that while I don't have a much knowledge of 13" wheels, I have heard plenty of difficulties of sourcing them as well.

Furthermore, I stated my personal opinion is that diameters should be free, but that I would support any effective compromise.

Lastly I stated my opinion that this issue is a crisis waiting to happen. What if Panasport decides to stop making 14x7 wheels?

So, I've done my part. Please do yours. Please write to the CRB whatever your opinion on this topic. It's my believe there is strong interest in opening up diameters, but the CRB needs to hear it from the members. They furthermore need to hear more about the difficulty in sourcing wheels in the sizes allowed. I am confident that the CRB will listen if y'all write. It's in your court.

Tell them what you think. If you think I'm full of horsepucky, tell them that too.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

In the interests of fair play, I haven't written...yet.

Actually, I wouldn't change if I could, even if the wheels were free, unless the best tires became unavailable in my prefered size.

That said, I will write, if you guys want me to, as I agree that time has passed the existing rule by, and we need an update.

But I don't want to be the third letter they get, do I?

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I wrote. The Feb Fastrack reply was the result. I would propose free dia. and current widths.

------------------
    Wayne Briggs
    CenDiv
    ITA Capri
    Building a SM
    Move...Lest Ye Rust!

Originally posted by wayno:
    I wrote. The Feb Fastrack reply was the result. I would propose free dia. and current widths.

Write again. It's important for the CRB to understand the difficulty in sourcing wheels below 15" today.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

Tell them what you think. If you think I'm full of horsepucky, tell them that too.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

254 posts plus who knows how many views by quiet lurkers, but only 3 messages to the CB (and I think two of them were done prior to this thread!)

Not promising. So much with bombarding them with interest.

For those who are interested, please write or even just email the CB at: [email protected]

I've never had trouble getting 13 inch wheels and tires for my 1st gen ITA/7 RX7. Having seen Production cars in the 1970's "rules creep" from what were very comparable to today's IT cars to what they are today, I am opposed to changes that are not needed.

Good point Mike. 13" wheels and even 14x7's are easier to come by for cars with RWD offsets. RX7's, old Corollas, older Supra, 240ZX etc. However, newer cars that use a FWD 4x100 bolt pattern (Nissan, Toyota, Honda, VW, etc.) do not have wheels available. For those popular cars, change is needed.

Originally posted by Jake:
    Good point Mike. 13" wheels and even 14x7's are easier to come by for cars with RWD offsets.
    I don't think that's true. It's my understanding the 240Z guys can only get Panasports now. I'm sure there are more used 14x7 wheels for RWD around, but forget new.

I can appreciate the rule creep argument when contrasted with Production cars of 20 years ago, but what has changed is the aftermarket. Twenty years ago plus sized wheels were the rare exception. Today, stock diameter wheels are the rare exception. You can't find them.

There are more choices for 13" wheels, but not 14".

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

There are more choices for 13" wheels, but not 14".

Ok George, please provide data to support this claim.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    The statement keeps getting made that there is an "adequate supply" of these wheels, but that is hardly quantitative. Someone needs to put together some facts and numbers.

A spreadsheet showing a list of suppliers, the various racing wheels sizes available from each, and some kind of cost comparison, would be nice to have. We need to take the "I feels...", the assumptions, and the unsubstantiated claims OUT of these rule making discussions and start gethering some facts....

So, if you car is all prepped for next season and you want to help... Put together a well thought-out spreadsheet with the pertinent data and send it to me. I will compile the data along with any other data that might be pertinent and present it to the appropriate parties...

Let's let the facts speak for themselves...
    Originally posted by Bill Miller
    Ok George, please provide data to support this claim.
    I don't know what's happening here, but Bill and I seem to be agreeing on quite a few things lately... I'm sure something will come up shortly to change that... The universe just doesn't feel quite right...

Seriously, As can be read from my quote above, I offered to compile any data that you out there might have to supply in reference to this subject... I've received ZERO so far...

I happen to agree with Geoge about this, because I've done my own "looking" to verify supply streams for these wheels, and I know what I've found... This, however, does no good when trying to convince others.

Claims of "adequate supply" are just as hollow as the claims of an "inadequate supply", unless we have some data. It's the only way to validate what anyone is saying.

SO... If someone wants to get this issue out there, then gather some real data (list of potential items are in my previous post on page 5 of this thread...) and send it to George, me, or any of the other ITAC members and let's see what the case really is...

Otherwise, it's all just banter...

Roll up those sleaves and get to work!

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Auburn, WA
    ITS '97 240SX