Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel diameter rule change Poll

Default Wheel diameter rule change Poll

Because 14x7's and 13x7's (even heavy ones) are becoming harder to find and more expensive, because final drive is open anyway, because running 16's and 17's on underpowered cars isn't a competitive advantage (just looks cool), because it cars to move from ITA to ITB without a wheel sale, because it will enable Spec Miata guys to run in ITA (great for 2 driver cars), because lightweight 15's are a dime a dozen (well actually $400/4)...

Who would support a change to allow IT cars to use any diameter wheel, as long as it was 7" wide or less?

Who cares enough that they would write a letter to the CB?

Since I already run 15x7 wheels on my Honda Challenge car I'd have no problem with it. I'd be able to cross over and run IT events without spending a couple of grand on new wheels and tires.

It might also help folks just starting out, who could save 50-75% on starting their wheel inventory.

I'd bet, though, that as long as someone is still making 14x7s the CB won't consider it a necessary change.

I'd be willing to write a letter anyway, just to see if I could get a prized FasTrack Turndown.

------------------
    1988 CRX Si
    ECHC H4 #38

I'd certainly support it - though I'm sure the CompBoard wouldn't be too happy to see another 3-pg letter from me so soon again, so I'll leave the missive up to someone else...

------------------
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
    www.vaughanscott.com

Originally posted by 924Guy:
    so I'll leave the missive up to someone else...
    DON'T leave it up to "someone else"... One letter with an good idea doesn't carry as much weight as MANY letters with the same good idea...

Darin

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    DON'T leave it up to "someone else"... One letter with an good idea doesn't carry as much weight as MANY letters with the same good idea...
    I agree with Darin. Besides, I'll support it within the ITAC. At some point the rest of the group will have to give in to my nagging. I think Darin has become open to this subject after doing a bit of research. I will be writing my own letter with some research on availability and cost as well.

Please write.

Oh, and remember, this doesn't even affect me. My car already can use 15" and 16" wheels.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

15" would be nice

I'm all for allowing open wheel sizes, as newer cars have larger wheels in general.
    This would help cars with gearing issues as well.

------------------

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\"> I think Darin has become open to this subject after doing a bit of research </font>
    Haha Research......."Joe what do you think?"

Did he get an ear full......The larger wheel & tire is gonna be a push in most cases. The benefits are alot of pro series are using 15 and 17" stuff so there are a lot of good used tires in the system. Wheels become more available for a reasonable price. So on and so on. The current trends in automotive performance are all going this way and it won't be long before the tire guys just flat won't want to make tires for us. I think Hoosier is no longer making a 60 series 14 for the Z so everybody is on 50's which don't fit real well...ane we have been having trouble getting 14" goodyears.....

This is a change that's time has come. It is also self policing by our fender rules so if limited to 7 or 7.5 max then flares should never be an issue.

Hmmm, what if the rule on tire size was written that as new cars with larger stock wheel sizes are admitted into a class, that car's wheel size becomes the new maximum?
    So, if we ever get a car that comes with 17" wheels admitted to ITS, then all ITS cars can run 17" wheels...
    Its sort of a rules creep issue, but at least it is a one time only rules change.

Tim Rogers
    ITS NX2000 under construction

I'm all for any diameter wheel, but for the opposite reason as most of you. The Prelude has a required 16" wheel and with a 225/50/16 the overall tire diameter is almost an inch taller than stock. Sure this can be cured by a final drive but that will cost me about $1700. A 15" wheel would allow me to stick with my current final drive and spend $60 less per set of tires!!

------------------
    David Rierson
    #53 Honda Prelude
    Texas Region

[This message has been edited by TypeSH (edited July 17, 2003).]

Everyone....

Please write to the CB. I think the CB and most of the ITAC does not know just how big an issue this is. Some think this will add to the costs, but in reality, for most people this will significantly reduce costs. And, as Joe stated, larger wheels are a push at best.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

My computer must be broken - everyone here seems to agree. Something must be wrong! Cool guys, lets bombard them with letters!!!!

OK, Jake, you want somebody to disagree???

Find somebody else.

At tirerack.com, as of today - 4x100 bolt pattern (Honda, VW, et al.)...

14" diameter - two options, both 6" wide, both Borbets, both $75 each.

15" diameter - 29 options; 6, 6.5, and 7" wide, ranging in price from $99 (seven options) to $299 each, mean cost is $143.

However, the idea of open wheel diameters is completely contrary to the intent of IT. And I like it anyway...

K

Originally posted by Knestis:
    However, the idea of open wheel diameters is completely contrary to the intent of IT.
    So are coilovers. So are spherical bearings. Hell, you could even argue that adjustable dampers are contrary to the intent of IT. I'm sure there are plenty of other things that could be argued.

Actually, I'd have to ask why it's contrary. I think it actually fits "useful and necessary to construct a safe race car" as well as "limited modifications, suitable for racing competition."

Originally posted by Knestis:
    And I like it anyway...

Please write. This is my crusade.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited July 17, 2003).]

Originally posted by Geo:
    Oh, and remember, this doesn't even affect me. My car already can use 15" and 16" wheels.
    Mine either... I get to use both 15" or 16" as well...

Of course, if 17's were available...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Auburn, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Originally posted by TypeSH:
    ... with a 225/50/16 the overall tire diameter is almost an inch taller than stock.
    You might want to go to the Tire Rack and check out the selection of Kuhmos available... You and I are currently running the same size and I just looked... there are a few other options there that would fit nicely...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Auburn, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

because I have to run 13's my hoosiers cost me $756 mounted, 15's are $100 less. Ill write.... but... NO LESS THAN 9 POUNDS EACH.

------------------
    Daryl Brightwell
    ITA RX7 #11
    NORPAC
    ITA RX7 #77
    SOPAC

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited July 18, 2003).]

Excellent point, Daryl. It could probably be argued that 9# is too light in fact...

K

Prelude came with 15" and 16" wheels
    BMW 325's came with 15" and 16" wheels
    944's came with 15" and 16" wheels
    My RX-7 came with 15" and 16" wheels,...yet Im the only one that dosen't get to use them? And don't give me that crap about being only an option package. I am allowed to use the spoilers, lightweight rotors, and rear end ratio from that package but not the rims? (The 16" are optional on BMW's)
    This is why people wonder whats going to happen with CA, arbitrary, unequal application of rules with no explination.