Originally posted by cherokee:
So what is the difference. A rotor is ok to come from the aftermarket but "X" is not? If the aftermarket part has the same specs as the factory part why not use it.

I see your point... The differentiation I would make here is that one part is a normal wear item that is allowed to be replaced by aftermarket pieces per the ITCS and has little bearing on the performance of the vehicle.

I suppose a camshaft could be considered the same thing, except that it has a significant impact on the performance of the vehicle.

If all that matters is the profile of the cam, and the club has the ability to measure this, then I suppose the specifications are no different to enforce than those of a set of rotors, so perhaps the part number on the cam doesn't matter.

For example, if the cam in quesion is NLA, but the competitor finds a different part and regrinds it to match the stock profile, is that legal? Are regrind cams legal for IT? It's not specifically addressed, unless it's considered under the "factory repair" clause...

Thank you for bringing the similarities of these two situations to my attention. Perhaps what is needed is some wording chages to the rules, similiar to what was done with pistons, which says something to the effect of the pieces simply needing to be "exactly equivalent" to the factory pieces...

I'll take that up with the ITAC...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Auburn, WA
ITS '97 240SX