I have been thinking about this. I am debating if I should petition the SCCA to change the rule.

The rule currently states- "two races should be completed within 1 calendar year, between your membership year" or something like that.. AKA you have to do 2 races in 1 year.

The reality- With the economy as it is now many people cannot afford to race! I am one of them. I do not wish to lose my SCCA license because of it. Perhaps there should be a 1 day refresher class for people who have drifted out of status. I really dread to think that I would have to do another double driving school to get back into the sport. I also believe that many young people like myself (sub 25) ,who have to take on college at the same time without a substantial source of income, are going to be put off by the rule and will look to other sports. The cost of renting a car for 2 races is also not cheap and many people cannot accept the liability in the event the car was damaged.

I understand completely that the rule was engineered to keep inexperienced drivers off of the track. But additionally I believe that a 1 day “rust removal” class should be sufficient. Racing is like riding a bicycle. Once you get it. You get it! Might just take a few hours to shake the rust from the driver!

~Jonathan Freinkel

Thoughts ? Comments ? Opinions?