Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VW "G-Grind" camshaft...

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    But from your earlier arguement Darin, it would have to be listed on the spec line of the car to be legal. And, while I'll have to research this, I don't think that it's a requirement that legal parts be available from the factory.

But as far as your scenario w/ the new part #, I would still think you'd need something in writing from Datsun/Nissan to the effect that this is the new part # and the old part # is NLA, possibly w/ the specs of the new part.

Bill... You are correct, and based on our current rules, none of this has ever been in question with me. What we were trying to establish with the last set of posts what WHAT constituted a part that was eligible to be listed on the spec line... or, in other words, WHAT qualifies as a "supersede" or "replacement" piece...

The only document required by the ITCS is a "manufacturers parts guide", which would generally show the old part numbers and the new, and in some way indicate the availability.

DJ

But from your earlier arguement Darin, it would have to be listed on the spec line of the car to be legal.
    While I agree with you Bill, I think that's something we need to change. As Greg pointed out, there are literally hundreds of parts on cars that are superceded. We could never list them all. Do we just list certain parts? I would think this would create a nightmare as well.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

It sounds like we're all basically on the same page now. Has anyone heard anything from the powers that be i.e. the CB.

------------------
    Nico
    KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by theenico (edited October 28, 2003).]

Originally posted by Geo:
    As Greg pointed out, there are literally hundreds of parts on cars that are superceded. We could never list them all. Do we just list certain parts...
    Let's be reasonable here... Greg's example used EVERY concievable piece on the car. If you read further in the ITCS, you'll find coverage for the vast majority of small parts, or replaceable parts, such as seals, bearings, fasterners, etc... Of the pieces not covered there, what are considered "protestable" items? I know that isn't what the rules say, but if we listed all the items NOT covered by some rule in the ITCS as being allowed to be replaced, what items would we have? Of those items, what would someone bother to protest you over?

What changes would you (the general IT community "you" , not "you" George, though you are welcome to respond as well?? ) recommend??? Do we drop the line requiring the piece be listed, and instead require that competitors have documentation to prove legality in the event of a protest??? I'd sure like to find a way to do this that could avoid the protest all together, but I suppose that's inevitable at some point...

Darin

Originally posted by theenico:
    It sounds like we're all basically on the same page now. Has anyone heard anything from the powers that be i.e. the CB.
    Gotta be a little patient guys... This only just got onto the ITAC's plate last month. It's on the CBs agenda for their next meeting, but I've requested that this matter remain open until all the documentation is in hand...

Darin

Darin,

Didn't the CB meet today (10/28)? I thought I read somewhere that they were going to have another meeting soon to discuss the GT4/5 situation?

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Darin,

Didn't the CB meet today (10/28)?
    I believe they at least had a conf. call. Bob Dowie (one of the two CB liasons to the ITAC) wrote to tell us that he would ask about PCA progress, discuss the superseded parts issue, and whatever else the CB had on their plate. Will let you know if anything comes up worth noting...

I too will be interested to hear what happens with GT4/5... Stay tuned...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Auburn, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

I've been watching this one and trying to get some info since not only do I have a 510, but I also work for Nissan. I received an email from one of the parts distribution centers yesterday. My contact came up with the following part numbers

13001-23000 used until July '71
    Then it goes into a string of parts with the original part number being replaced by 13001-23000-SV then 13001-H2710 and finally 13001-H2700. These 3 part numbers are labeled as used since August '71.

My contact indicated that NONE of these parts are available now.

Not sure how much this info helps...

------------------
    Ben
    '71 510 - soon to be C'n in Central Div.

Originally posted by Nigel Stu:
    My contact indicated that NONE of these parts are available now.

Not sure how much this info helps...

Nigel,

Here is the information I need. If I came to you and asked to purchase a new camshaft for a 1968 to 1973 Datsun 510 w/ L16... WHAT part number is shown as available for this application? I need to know what the part number is that is currently available for this application. It doesn't have to be one that was ever used in a factory 510, just whatever Nissan currently offers for this application.

If you can get me some official documentation showing this information (copy/scan of the manufactures parts guide page showing the application and part numbers, letter on Nissan letterhead validating part numbers, availability, supersession, etc., or anything else officially documenting this situation), please e-mail it to me ASAP. [email protected]

This is the one piece of information that I'm having a hard time obtaining (because my local Nissan parts guys don't seem to know how to pull all this information together with their parts computers...)

Thanks,

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Auburn, WA
    ITS '97 240SX