Thread: Storage of brake parts

Default Storage of brake parts

Looking for recommendations on how to store brake & clutch cylinders. I've got a used clutch slave that I took off, but want to keep as a spare. I cleaned it all out, dried it all, but am afraid of just reassembling it storing it in a bag for fear of it getting rusty. It will get condensation on it and the bore is bare steel. So if I put brake fluid back in it, the fluid will attract water & it will rust. If I put oil in it, will it be ok to just slap it in the car & bleed the crap out of it??? Will the oil & brake fluid get along or will they cause problems? I would prefer to avoid having to open it up & clean it before use since its the type of thing that if I need it, I probably realized it about 10 minutes before the session starts.

If you've got one of those vacuum bag food saver's, those work great for storing parts that you don't want to get rusty or corroded.

I used a set of the large bags to store a set of calipers.

That is a pretty damned good idea, Greg.

K

Also throw one of those "descicant" (sp?) bags that you get with electronic things in ther. Griots garage sells them too.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

oops...

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited July 03, 2005).]

If you ask someone familiar with old british stuff, you can get this stuff called rubber grease too. good stuff to put on it before storage...

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

Absolutely, positively, DO NOT put petroleum-based oil in ANY brake part. The brake system seals are not compatible with petroleum based products. If you do, you face the real possibility of a brake failure and a complete rebuild of the ENTIRE brake system.