Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lug nut conundrum

Default Lug nut conundrum

The Kosei wheels that we got for the Golf before the Summit race have a somewhat restricted recess around the lug hole. We asked TireRack to send open-ended lug nuts (M12x1.5), which they did, but they have a 19mm hex - which is too big for an impact socket to get all the way onto the nut during wheel changes.

We - of course - scratched up my pretty new wheels but didn't have any actual failures (of nut or torque), so I need to find a solution. Does anyone know of an open-ended, taper-seat lug nut in that thread pitch, with a 17mm hex so we can get a socket on them correctly? The spherical ones that I have for my OE wheels are 17mm but I'm coming up short finding a solution to this problem...

Thanks in advance!

K

Harbor Freight has a three impact socket set that fits those wheels just fine. I thing the whole set cost less than $15.00 It works great with my wheels. Chuck

Dick Elliott Guest

I took an impact socket and turned it down till it fit the wheels. Worked for me. DICK.

Kirk:

The Miata's use a 12x150 lug & I swear I once took off a set of wheels using a 17mm socket. I would go to the wreck-miata page & ask around there.

We run into the same thing w/ deep sockets on the enduro Miata and have simply used non-impact sockets, they have a thinner wall & get down in there just fine.

Is that why you were wandering around at the S-P 12 hour looking for wheel spacers?

Matt

Hey Kirk.
    I bought some studs and nuts for my 325 from James at Bimmerworld and they are 17mm. Also have you tried using a non impact socket? They thinner walled but are not as strong.
    John

Impact sockets?? Heck - I thought that's why Craftsman had a lifetime warranty.

I have the same problem with one set of my wheels - I just use a regular 21mm socket, and a torque wrench.

We burn them on and off during enduro stops, and I don't want to blow up any (more) sockets.

The spacer question was a related problem.

We had two sets of 5mm spacers, one of each is required to clear the non-threaded shoulder of our screw-in wheel studs.

Problem was, with the 225 Hoosiers, we needed 10mm of spacer to keep the front inside sidewalls off of the coilover bodies - so we needed another pair for the rears.

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited June 28, 2005).]

RRT and Bimmerworld both have them...or...if you're looking for cheaper (I use these):

www.prestigewheel.com

Good Luck...

------------------
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Kirk,

Looks like either the 5505 or 5455 (and possibly the 4505) from prestige wheel will work. Didn't know what the spec for the bottom width was. If you can use the 5455, I think those will be the hot ticket.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

One other suggestion....find an auto parts store that carrys Dorman products and have them order nut for you ... they will be 17mm. Chuck

The Dorman catalog - i thought it would be the solution - didn't have any that were 17mm but I think Prestige is the answer. Thanks, all.

K

Originally posted by Knestis:

Problem was, with the 225 Hoosiers, we needed 10mm of spacer to keep the front inside sidewalls off of the coilover bodies - so we needed another pair for the rears.

K

If you have camber plates (with enough adjustability), you can set the eccentric bolts at the upright for full positive and then adjust back to the desired negative camber with the plates. This will free up some space next to the strut/tire area, as well as helping with the scrub radius and steering axis inclination.

------------------
    Nico Prelogar

I have 4 spare 16mm offset plates if you are interested. Probably too thick for your setup.

And the answer is...."Don't use impact sockets."

We just use 1/2" drive deep sockets, as deep sockets generally have a thicker wall. They don't get THAT abused by the impact guns during enduro stops.

If we don't have wheel clearance issues, we just use cheap (i.e. Harbor Freight) impacts, as they constantly disappear at enduros and we need a ready supply.

Another trick is to use a deep, thin-wall 3/8" drive socket with a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter. Sometimes the 3/8" drive sockets are thinner than the 1/2" drive sockets, since they are not supposed to see as high of a load.

Also try different stores. Sometimes different brands will be thinner than other units. Measure the O.D. to be sure. Buy a couple in case you break one.

In my case, I found that sockets made by Allen (from the local Fleet Farm store) were thinner than Craftsman sockets from Sears.

Make sure you use a 6pt sockets since it is stronger than the 12pt socket.

I had the same problem w/the k1-ts...the sockets I bought at ace hardware worked with minimal clearance...

Here's your answer:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...410&R=200313410

Extra-thin wall impact sockets have external composite sleeve and internal composite insert to protect expensive automotive rims and lugs from damage during removal or installation.

Sounds like the deal to me.

------------------
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing
    ITS Mazda RX7 #35
    [email protected]

I had the same problem with impact sockets being too thick. Just bought a couple of deep, 6 pt., 19mm from Sears. No problem. Way cheaper than impact sockets. Still on the first one with a long way to go.

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Is that a 1/2" drive, deep, 6-pt, 19mm socket?? Craftsman says they don't make one.

K

You're right...Sears doesn't make them for 1/2" drive. This should work. I used a 3/8" drive spark plug socket on my old lug nuts (13/16") before I switched to my current 19mm size.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie= Yes&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=0 0944436000://http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...pid=00944436000

Use an adapter to go from 1/2" drive to 3/8" drive. Buy a couple in case they break.

Or search other stores like Ace, True Value, etc.

I was able to find a 6pt 1/2" drive 19mm thin wall at our local hardware store. I'm pretty sure they were made by 'Allen' of the Allen Wrench company...

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited June 30, 2005).]