Thread: Where to buy tow hooks

RR Guest

Default Where to buy tow hooks

Can somebody point in the right direction to buy tow hooks. Since they need to be 2 inches in diameter cant seems to find anything in a normal hardware store or Home Depot (they only have 1 1/2).

2" wide piece of steel and a 2" ID muffler clamp. A little welding, a little bolting and, bam!, a tow hook!

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Rich, $3.75 each for a total of $7.50 plus tax. You can order on line or at a store.

***Paul, thanks for the towing loop tip. I went to REI & looked at the Blue Water Titan/Spectra Runner. 27.0 kilonewtons (approx 6,000 pounds)by 12 inches long. Loop it around the OEM tow loop using a tie rap so it can't dangle loose & a rubberband to keep it out of the way & from totally dangling down & confusing the workers.***

Have Fun
    David

I like Bill's idea, except that I used cut off spring coils instead of muffler clamps. Essentially zero cost.

The runners are a great idea if your factory eyes are made such that you can use them.

------------------
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division

try www.dartauto.com. They have some that are nice and fairly inexspensive

Dick Elliott Guest

Put a PORSCHE part your---- (fill in the blank)???? Come on now! Muffler clamp is far nore fitting on an IT car. My choice is a tie down from a trailer. Bolts on and will swing back and forth for a better AERO package. Ever little bit counts when your racing a FORD. DICK.

Originally posted by ddewhurst:
    Rich, $3.75 each for a total of $7.50 plus tax. You can order on line or at a store.

***Paul, thanks for the towing loop tip. I went to REI & looked at the Blue Water Titan/Spectra Runner. 27.0 kilonewtons (approx 6,000 pounds)by 12 inches long. Loop it around the OEM tow loop using a tie rap so it can't dangle loose & a rubberband to keep it out of the way & from totally dangling down & confusing the workers.***

Have Fun
    David
    I took it one more step; I hooked a locking carabiner (climbing hook @ REI) to my stock Rx7 tow hook, then looped the spectra climbing runner (as David mentioned above) in it. This extended my makeshift tow strap.
    That was the rear; the front was the fabric turner motorsports strap looped aroudn the bumper support.

Ironically, when the safety crew towed my car in (after my brother blew the motor), they simply hooked onto my "no-longer-legal-but-still-present-and-fully-functional" stock tow hooks.... Thanks SCCA!

Marcus

[This message has been edited by Marcus Miller (edited April 11, 2005).]

We just ordered and received the strap from Safe Quip. Really great product with 2 ways to mount it. Has 18" of length too. Will be just fine for the front once I decide the best place to put it . Meanwhile, we are working on what to do with the rear. A CRX generally has enough cleance that a rescue team can catch the stock hooks. The only other reasonable place is the center hook/lift point and Arospeed does have one for there. Then again another strap might work better as it can be mounted where the licensce plate used to live; there is a bolt there that attaches to the bumper bar-hm. Stay tuned

------------------
    Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    '99 Prelude=a sweet song-FOR SALE
    '03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Try www.rennenmetal.com

I have specific fitments for Series 1 RX7 and lots of universal items also.

thanks...DLee

Consider if you want to just pass tech or if you want something functional........

http://www.urbanhart.com/shopsite/ha...onnectors.html

I bought the links above for backup then went on to fab these.for a VW A2........... The approach may work on other apps and if there was a demand, I'd make more

I cut an old seat belt, put grommets in it, and bolted it together. Any length is possible and it goes with the theme of the team.

Jeremy Cesene
    #13 ITB
    Hillbilly Motorsports

saw someone with this on the freeway today.

Shipping doubles the price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-R...bayphotohosting