Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: custom NASCAR rear swaybars?

Ok, I can see your point.
    But,
    if you are running top three at runoffs (I think he was second at one point), then you have shown that a welded can be fast.
    Now you can say that maybe he had a killer motor or some such.
    But,
    to run that well at the runoffs, pretty much the whole car has to be working really well as a unit. Now there may be various levels of components on the, say, top ten cars. Meaning some may be running 20K dollars worth of shocks, while others may be running 2K worth. But I dont see anyone in the top ten running a component that is not proven to work, and I mean work WELL, on the model they are running.
    If someone has 30K on a top running GP car, which is not unheard of by any means, then why would they sacrifice a second or more a lap on an inferior LSD or welded set up?
    Not only this, both swifts that qualified so very well at the runoffs, are using welded diffs.
    Actually, J. Goodale now runs a gripper from england. He says he cannot see any extra time from this though...
    matt

OH, and penske and yunick were legends of motorsports engineering in a racing environment.
    I consider myself a decent driver. But, I'm a very average joe shmoe when it comes to race car fabrication and engineering. I have neither the time, money, and definitely not the legendary expertise to do what penske and yunick did.
    I think in my situation it is best to see what the experts are doing. Chances are they have experimented with different set ups before arriving at their current set up.
    matt

matt,
    I had the chance to drive a swift with a welded diff after i drove it with a open(yeah i know) diff. The car pulled through the corners very well as long as you were on the gas, if you coast at all the car will push no matter what is on the rear for suspension. That being said it handled very well and seemed fast.
    There was a guy in minnesota the won the regional points with a swift some years back and i know he had a welded diff as well in his swift.
    Hope that helps ya with your choice.

Originally posted by zooracer:
    just quickly for FYI,
    found out woody deatherage, ran in top three at runoffs before crashing, runs a welded with stock front and rear bars.
    Sounds like welded is the way to go.
    matt
    Chuck Mathis also runs welded in his Rabbit and was getting along pretty well for the first 17 laps. IMO welded is a great way to go.
    Chris

I think you might be refering to Kaz Bush or something like that? I had heard of him also, apparently did really well in ITB. I heard he was constantly protested, even though nothing was ever found illegal, and he eventually gave up and quit?
    Well I'm in the process now of pulling it and taking it to Baucom's for welding.
    Will report on it once I get it on track.
    My first event with it may the the big may event at VIR...
    matt

Kaz Bush? Don't know if you are talking to me, but Chuck Mathis did have success in ITB and ITA for a while (also running welded diffs). He was driving the orange GP Rabbit that ate concrete two laps from the end of the Runoffs. Nothing illegal about his cars at all.

[This message has been edited by shwah (edited March 24, 2005).]

Yeah, I had heard albin runs a welded also.
    Kaz drove a swift in ITB.
    So far as coasting goes...
    There isnt supposed to be any in racing, right?
    The only real disadvantage I had heard of is that it can be harder on tires, which isnt a great thing, thats for sure.

In my opinion, a welded diff is no different on tires than anything else.

While going through the corners with a solid front diff, the car "feels" like it's pulling from the inside, which it is, since the inside wheel is traveling less distance than the outer one.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Originally posted by zooracer:
    I think you might be refering to Kaz Bush or something like that? I had heard of him also, apparently did really well in ITB. I heard he was constantly protested, even though nothing was ever found illegal, and he eventually gave up and quit?
    Well I'm in the process now of pulling it and taking it to Baucom's for welding.
    Will report on it once I get it on track.
    My first event with it may the the big may event at VIR...
    matt
    It's "Kaj Bush", and yes, he ran an ITB Swift GTi. Holds the ITB tack record at Summit Point w/ it (1:30.499, has stood for several years). He converted the car to a GP car, and ran it a few years in the MARRS series. Don't know what ever happened to him. I never saw the car run in ITB trim.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608