Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limited Slip

Originally posted by grjones1:
    ITA,
    I've used the same Quaife since 1991 in my Fiesta (which still wins a few races). It cost $1200 + installation.

One thing to keep in mind when picking a diff, what works for a 90hp Fiesta may not work (long..) for a 200hp Wombat GT. And vice versa.

Alan

People with FWD Wombat GT's just weld the spiders - right Alan? The ultimate "no slip" diff.

Right.

Now with the Wombat R you have to use a viscous..

Originally posted by seamus88:
    Phantom Grips are also known to fail and take the entire trans and case with them.
    http://homepage.mac.com/dgiessel/.Pictures...r/phantom_grip/

[This message has been edited by seamus88 (edited January 17, 2005).]
    Only problem- the Phantom Grip didn't cause the failure. Someone didn't reinstall the diff pin properly, it walked, one end dropped, and viola!

Now, please do not think I'm saying the PG didn't contribute... with the heat and the shavings and little pieces floating around (glaven)...

It's just that I've seen that failure happen a few times (some even in person), and it has nothing to do with the diff (unless your diff design eliminates the pin, as some do...)

------------------
    Matt Green
    "Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."

Matt-I thought there was a picture in that "diff" gallery showing that the roll pin was still in place and intact.

Originally posted by joeg:
    Matt-I thought there was a picture in that "diff" gallery showing that the roll pin was still in place and intact.
    But if you look through those pictures, you see that the pin snapped at the top. The picture showing the pin installed was from the bottom.

Besides excess heat build up, I don't know that the PG was the total cause. I'm also sure some of that damage inside was caused after the pin snapped. The PG is totally in tact.

What type of box is this from? Honda?

Stay with the locker and that way you can save money instead of going to the gym. Just drive around the paddock making 90 degree turns. That's enough of a workout for anybody.

P.S. It's worse with slicks

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

I'm a huge fan of clutch-type diffs and have ordered one of the Kaaz-built units for the Golf, from our friends at Bildon. I've also heard good things from people I trust about the OPM part.

K[/B]
    K.
    In the "Torsen" dialogue, you seemed to favor a Quaife-type diff and here you like clutches. Not trying to start an argument, I'm just confused.
    G

Originally posted by apr67:

One thing to keep in mind when picking a diff, what works for a 90hp Fiesta may not work (long..) for a 200hp Wombat GT. And vice versa.

Alan
    But Alan that's 90 hp with 120 ft/lbs of mid-range torque in a 1700-lb car.
    And of course you are absolutely right.

G

[This message has been edited by grjones1 (edited January 20, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by grjones1 (edited January 20, 2005).]

grjones1 I'll speak for Kirk here and assume he was favoring the Torsen/Quaife only when the clutch type diffs were nearly impossible to find for VWs stateside. Now that we've recently picked up an affordable Mechanical LSD line here, it becomes the obvious choice.

You can read some Pro/Con info on our site.

------------------
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment

Originally posted by Bildon:
    grjones1 I'll speak for Kirk here and assume he was favoring the Torsen/Quaife only when the clutch type diffs were nearly impossible to find for VWs stateside. Now that we've recently picked up an affordable Mechanical LSD line here, it becomes the obvious choice.

You don't do anything with Honda's do you?

Originally posted by Bildon:

Thanks, Bill.
    G

Originally posted by grjones1:
    In the "Torsen" dialogue, you seemed to favor a Quaife-type diff and here you like clutches. Not trying to start an argument, I'm just confused.
    G
    Originally posted in the other forum by Knestis:
    Gear-type torque biasing diffs are generally considered to be very durable and, in the kind of cars we deal with, reliable.
    I don't think that's confusing at all. The original question there was, "Anybody have any real info on how long these things last?"

Further, it isn't any more contradictory that elsewhere, I've voiced the opinion that a welded diff - or spool, now for some FWD cars - isn't as horrible as some people say and are (gasp) a perfectly fine answer.

I actually had FOUR options available and I chose the KAAZ-manufactured unit that Bildon is carrying now. It has the best features for me, with this car, at this time. I might have opted for the OPM clutch pack, but I was a little concerned about delivery time.

Heck, if I were ONLY road racing, I would MOST likely have gone with the spool, and if I were building a street-practical HPDE car, I'd use an TB option - either the Peloquin or Quaiffe.

Then again, I'm one of those dreadful moral relativist types that you hear about on the talk shows, who tends to think critically about issues rather than pitching in with one set of idealogues or another...

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited January 27, 2005).]