Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel line Configuration

I plan on using some expandable foam to fill some cavity space and keep the aluminum edges of the cell box away from the cell walls. As for the alluded surge tank valves, could someone please explain what needs to be controlled and the type of valve used. For clarification, Greg G. you were having problems when the return line was returning aerated fuel to the surge tank and the surge tank pickup line was drawing from this region of aeration? Or was this in the fuel cell?

There is a rule in the GCR that is of help to mont/Marzracing make his point about hot fuel. The rule basically says that you SHALL not cool your fuel within the fuel system of the SCCA race car. That's because the CRB wants to help Mont/Marzracing heat up his fuel so fuel atomization will be improved.

Have Fun
    David

ps: The hot tip for year 2005 is to provide a path around your engine bay (close to the header) for your incomming fuel line so the the fuel heats up before entering the engine. Also please be sure that you air intake opening is close to the headers so that your air is hot. Come on Mont tell us all what your profession is........

I have the 1 quart surge tank located inside the cell positioned slightly offset to the left since most of the tracks in Cen-Div have predominant right hand corners. The tank is rotated so that the check valves are located to the sides and the rear. The fuel pick-up to the pump draws from the front of the surge tank. This way the surge tank gets filled during acceleration or cornering from either side.

I added a return line 'bulkhead' style fitting to the top fill plate to connect the cell to the return line. Inside the cell, I ran a short 12"-18" piece of hose from this fitting and had the other end sitting loose but discharging into the surge tank. So my surge tank filled from the three check valves plus from the return line fuel. Any excess fuel just spilled over the edge of the surge tank back into the cell. Very simple. Worked fine, except that if the fuel got aerated, the suction line for the pump (connected to the surge tank) would draw in this aerated fuel and ran like crap. As I stated above, all it took was to provide a little bit of seperation between the lines, so that the air bubbles would flow out the top and not get drawn into the suction line. I added a simple aluminum plate to the surge tank to act as a baffle, and also added a scrap of foam so that the return line fuel dumps onto the foam to help break up the air.