Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rear springs and steering feel

I'd look at how much things move around (both alignment and weight) by design of the suspension geometry through bump, droop, roll and pitch. Determine what gets uglier faster--and decide if I can tolerate more roll or bump. Big Spring/Soft Bar. Soft Spring/Big Bar. Remember bars don't affect spring rate when both wheels encounter the same bump at the same time.

Softer wheel rates will yield more ultimate grip if all else is equal. However, when else is all equal? Too soft and you get too much wheel travel and all the other stuff that goes along with that.

So as soft as you can get away with, which is firmer than many would think.

Race cars of a different color. However, a MINIMUM suggested starting point on a Formula Ford is a wheel rate equal to the corner weight. You are only getting around 1" of total wheel travel which really helps with camber curves and bumpsteer. Very soft bars as well.

Well I met Mark Coffin (racer14itc) at carolina motorsports park. He was my instructor for my second school. My swift was pushing horribly, and then effortlessly spinning up the inside front tire when the power was applied. I was taking turn 8 in fourth gear, and the inside tire would still spin, although not as bad as a second or third gear turn of course.
    Unfortunately my suspension is not very adjustable right now. No adjusters on the rear springs, and you have to remove my Koni's to adjust rebound.
    Mark did have a look though, and saw that my front end was too low in that the lower control arms were tilted up from the middle towards the balljoint. So, we raised the front a little over half an inch. It made a big difference in front end grip and my lap time dropped a good bit.
    Mark had several other very helpful tips on car set-up; a great help all-round.
    I was on track with sam moore's son in his red ITB volvo. Very fast car. It will take a bit of work to develop my car enough to beat this car. But it is going to happen...
    This year is development, next year is ARRC.
    matt

Matt, you did a great job during the weekend, and once you get your car's suspension sorted out the rest of the SARRC ITB guys had better watch out! Of course, with the success the Swifts are having in GProd I hope you decide to join us after a season or two.

So, did you beat Grady in Monday's race? I bet it was cold out there!

Are you going to race at Kershaw next month in the Carolina Cup race?

MC

Hey mark, I didnt beat grady's Volkswagen. I was turning 4 seconds a lap slower, so there was just no way. He was second in ITB behind Sam Moores volvo. I did get clipped in the right rear tire by a spec miata who was trying an impossible pass, even when I went wide to give him room, but hey, it was all fun. And no damage to either car.
    I am planning on going to the carolina cup race next month. Taking the car now to John Baucom for the rear spring adjusters and corner weighting (in case I dont have any ruggles scales by the race). I have also just ordered some poly bushings with eccentric holes for more caster on the front. When these are in I will set the alignment using all the tricks you taught me. Dont think I will have an LSD by then, but I should be much faster anyways.
    Look forward to seeing you there.
    Oh, and I do plan to move to GP in a year or two. Faster is always better.
    matt

Took a few days here but, I was talking about using tie-wraps to keep the spring seated on the upper mount so they don't drop when the car is jacked-up. Not to limit suspension travel. Just using a tie-wrap like a keeper spring, only cheaper.

Tom

Yeah tom, the adjusters being installed are in the form of a threaded tube about 5 inches long with a thick steel washer that moves up and down the threads for adjustment. The spring will be kept in place by this 5 inch tube, so I dont think I will have to safety wire or tie wrap the spring.
    Also, anybody know of any good books on FWD techniques/car set up?
    matt