Originally posted by Renaultfool:
As technical and picky as some of the discussions on this site get, I am amazed that this one seems to fly. What happened to the "if it doesn't say you can, you can't" philosophy?
Nice idea. But if it says you can, you bloody well can.

Here is what the rule says:

"Manifold and cylinder head port matching is permitted. No material may be removed further than (1) one inch in from the manifold to cylinder head mounting face(s)."

How does the rule indicate that you can "match the port to the gasket"? I can't find the word "Gasket" in D,1,I, the section that allows port matching...
It doesn't.

...therefore to me it seems a pretty liberal interpretation to assume that you can match the port to the gasket or make the port at that point any size you want. The rule as printed allows you to match the port in the intake manifold to the port in the head, which is a little more difficult to accomplish than just hogging the port out to the gasket hole, but that is what the rule says in my book.
I would think that raising the roof of the port 1/4" through "matching" for instance, allowing the air flow a better angle to the valve head, (if your head happens to have a short port length due to the 1" limitation), would be much more of a performance advantage than the improper sized windshield washer bottle, an argument I have seen on this site before.
Ah yes, but now you are adding your own words to suit your own sensibilities.

The rule says you may port match. The only limitation placed upon this is the 1" rule. There is no limitation that say only one side may be machined, therefore both sides may be machined and to whatever size your heart desires.

If it says you can you bloody well can.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com