Originally posted by grega:
Because, Darin, "if it doesn't say you can" deviate from the factory specifications "you cannot."

Plain and simple.
The rules say you CAN use an Adjustable Cam gear if it was "fitted as stock".

It says you CAN... Plain and simple...

Since you guys can't seem to provide the hard evidence to refute my case, I decided to stop playing devil's advocate and do it for you. This both proves that the adjustable cam gears are allowed to be adjusted, and that "exceeding" the FSM specs for otherwise non-adjustable parts (my cam gear case above) is not allowed...

2003 GCR Section 22 - Definitions

Blue Printing -
The practice of engine improvement achieved by the use of selected standard parts and/or by optimizing the factory machined surfaces of stock engine components to achieve the most advantageous specifications within the normal range as defined by the manufacturer for that engine.

Within the above definition of blueprinting, any procedures that involve the following are NOT permitted unless specifically authorized:

a) The addition of material of any kind to any component (this includes, but is not limited to, the addition of sleeves/bushings and the application of anti-friction, oil shedding and thermal barrier/retention coatings).

The machining, tooling or any other physical or chemical modification, etc. etc...

c) Mixing/Matching of parts from any other year, make, model or type of vehicle or engine.

d) Balancing procedures that involve spot machining of ALL rotating and/or reciprocating parts (i.e.: on rod/piston assembly must remain untouched).

NOTE: Under no circumstances may any factory spcification be exceeded as a result of any permitted blueprinting operations(s) (i.e.: compression ratio, valve lift, bore, stroke, etc.).

I would have to say that the note at the end there would be sufficient to make a case for the illegality of my cam gear scenario metioned earlier.

However, the opening statement, specifically, the part about achieving "the most advantageous specifications within the normal range as defined by the manufacturer for that engine", would help prove a case to allow adjustable cam gears to be adjusted "within the normal range" as defined by the slot in the cam gear, which was designed and defined by the manufacturer of that engine...

So, I'll conceed that all other cases must meet an acceptable range for factory cam timing specs. BUT, the allowance of adjustable cam gears is an allowance for them to be adjusted within the limits they were designed to be adjusted within, or so me thinkist...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited September 23, 2004).]