<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...you are saying here that if you DON'T \"modify or replace\" these (suspension) components...the (alignment) settings MUST meet FSM specs??</font>

No, absolutely not. I do not understand how you interpret that in any manner. What the rules say is that "these specific modifications/replacements" are allowed in any form, and in any combination thereof in whole or part. Thus, even if I do NOT replace any suspension components, I am still allowed to use the extent of the physical suspension adjustments because they are a portion of the allowed modifications.

Same goes for tire pressures: even if I choose to run the stock Continental Radialectomies on my car, I can still use any tire pressure I wish because they are a portion of the allowable modifications for tires.

However, on the cam timing gears, there is no allowance for any modifications from stock to the cam timing gear, thus all stock specifications - including cam timing - apply.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT MAKING \"MODIFICATIONS\" HERE!!</font>

Exactly. So what makes you think that you are allowed to use a non-factory specification regarding the installation of that supposed-to-be stock part?

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...installation of a factory component results in timing outside of the FSM spec (due to whatever variances in production parts that happen to exist)...Is the engine illegal because of them?</font>

Of course it is! If you believe this is not the case, what keeps me from claiming that, for instance, that "whatever" part that I installed is simply a production variance? Would a receipt from the dealer (for instance, a Datsun 510 camshaft) suffice to prove it's a legal part?

The very fact that a part's specs don't match the FSM numbers is de facto proof that is illegal under ITCS. How else would you define "illegal"?

(Edit: in re-reading Darin's question, I'm inferring he's leading me down this path: if the cam timing is out of spec because of an allowed head shaving, would the car be illegal? My answer is "no" because that out-of-spec cam timing is as a direct result of an allowable modification, and the rules state "may" versus "must" on the use of an offset key to correct that condition. Further, but not necessarily relevant, on most engines this will result in an undesired condition of retarding the timing.

However, if the builder chooses to use the allowed offset key to adjust the cam timing, it is their responsibility to return the timing spec to within the FSM values.)

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">WHY does his only apply to \"modifications\" or \"substitutions\"???</font>

Because, Darin, "if it doesn't say you can" deviate from the factory specifications "you cannot."

Plain and simple.

[This message has been edited by grega (edited September 23, 2004).]