Originally posted by lateapex911:

Yes to shaving, Yes to "May" use a key, NO to the "we do not have to" part.

ok, ok, what I meant to say was not that "we don't have to use an offset key to move cam timing back to stock", rather I meant "We do not HAVE to move cam timing back to FSM" In my opinion, the rule was written to say basically, "if you would like to move your cam timing back to stock, you may use an offset key"

I see the logic flow, BUT in the bigger picture, what if the rule reminded you that you could use the offset key or the adjustable cam gears if your car is so equipped?

It does "open the door" if you ignore the larger picture and the basic IIDSYCYYC premise.

Larger picture?? How so? You can't argue that there are no cars in IT with adjustable cam timing, hell there are even electronicallly actuated adjustable.

The IIDSxxxxx premise of course only holds true if it does not say you can. Here the GCR plainly says that you can have a car whose engine camshaft timing differs from what was stock.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I'll give you an example of a rules clarification I requested.

My old Fiat has a wishbone axle locaing system. If you read the GCR, the GCR says Panhard rod or Watts link. I aske for a wording change to include wishbone. The response from the CB is that the present wording is sufficient to allow the wishbone. (it's in fastrack a few months back)

BTW if one is going to so stricktly interpret the IIDwhatever rule, there wouldn't be a legal car in the field. I'm sure I could go through and find things like out-of-spec torque settings on various fasteners like lug nuts, etc. The GCR says you may change fasteners, but it does not say they may be torqued to anything other than factory specs.