Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake pads.. what do you run?

Default Brake pads.. what do you run?

Ok I am probably annoying some posters with all my seemingly meaningless posts about this stuff, but it is helping me a lot in my decisions... I value the input I get here a lot. Thanks for anything you have to offer....

Here is this "topics" question:

What brake pads are you running, why, and how do you like them?

Raymond "Stop me now before I loose control" Blethen

A little extra for those that would like to indulge...

We run Protafields on the Audi Coupes and as mentioned in other posts, I am not pleased with the inconsistency with the pads performance. I did just talk to Carbotech and it seems like they have a very good product. I also got information on how to see what compound each Portafield pad is (sadly I did not know how to check this before). I am thinking seriously of switching to Carbotech by Monday (so I can get an order in before the first race in April) as they are less expensive pads and feedback I have so far is they are a far superior. What are your thoughts? Quoted price was $120 - $130 for Carbotech.

I used one set of Porterfield's race compound pads, but was very frustrated with the amount of time they lasted. And when they cost around $160 for my pads...

Jake recommended the Carbotech pads to me. Their customer service is excellent, price for the pads reasonable (far cheaper than Porterfields), and they actually last a fair amount of time. Oh, the pads I use are the Panther XP pads. I will definately be ordering from them again. Very, very happy with them!

I would be surprised if you didn't like them after trying them. If you do, let us know what you think after using them...

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

I'll chime in on this one. Carbotech panthers are worth every penny. Shameless plug.
    I used Porterfields once never again. They had a good intial bite but seemed difficult to modulate. After talking to Larry at Carbotech he explained the reason for it being that the pad would actually slightly glaze from the braking heat and you would have to put more brake pressure to make them stop. Also I have never stress cracked rotors from the carbotechs like I did with the porterfields.
    The durability of the Panthers are great also. I have never worn out a set completely I usualy change them just because I have a few events on them.
    In 2002 I ran my Sentra in the 3hr enduro at the glen,the 15min pratice session and 20 min race the next day,ran an EMRA race at lrp with them( 15min practice 10 min qualifying 20 min race)and then the next spring ran 4 20-30 min sessions with pda at LRP. So that pretty much 6hrs on track with one set of pads and there were 3/8 to 1/2 of the pad material left. This was on the XP8 material they now have XP9 which is even better.
    You can say well maybe I don't use the brakes enough. AT that EMRA race I was running pretty equivelent lap times to MR FATTY BOOMBATTY in his RX-7 and kept him in sight the whole race. He won I took third and I don't remember who second was.
    To sum it up Carbotech brakes are great and Larry and MAtt are great people to deal with.

------------------
    Crazy Joe
    #7 ITS pilot

Buy a set of stock rotors from Diversified Cryogenics and have them cryo them and match you up with their pads. Incredible deal will last you a season.

hawk blue's in front, hawk black in rear

Ran Hawk Blues in the ITB GTI, and I run them on the HP Rabbit. I made the mistake of trying the Mintex blue pads (1155?) once. Never again! I've heard the Carbotech's are good, but I have no complaints about the Hawks, so I can't see changing.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Hawk blues both ends of a 1st gen Mazda RX-7.

Hvae Fun
    David

The Hawks have my vote as well...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Hawk Blues on both ends of a Gen1 RX-7 (ITA/IT7 car). Chose those because they're the pad of choice among the IT RX-7 racers we know and we haven't had the time and money yet to do any serious comparisons. With the Hawk Blues, we have the bias as far forward as we can get it. The rears wear about half as fast as the fronts on our setup.

------------------
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    www.nutdriver.org

I use Hawk Blues, and people tell me that they eat rotors...I haven't had that experience, but after I talked to them, they told me that it's because they need to get HOT enough. When they're cold, they munch rotors. So I run them w/0 the brake ducting, and have had great results.

Eric
    NER SSM #12

Originally posted by Blix:
    I use Hawk Blues, and people tell me that they eat rotors...I haven't had that experience, but after I talked to them, they told me that it's because they need to get HOT enough. When they're cold, they munch rotors. So I run them w/0 the brake ducting, and have had great results.

Eric

NER SSM #12

I have tried and tried to talk to my brake rotors, first of all my family and even my dog looked me like they wernt sure where their next meal was coming from and second I have never gotten so much as a peep out of them, what's your secret eric? do you have to use a sexy voice or do you whisper into their vanes?

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited April 02, 2004).]

Originally posted by dominojd:
    AT that EMRA race I was running pretty equivelent lap times to MR FATTY BOOMBATTY in his RX-7 and kept him in sight the whole race. He won I took third and I don't remember who second was.
    To sum it up Carbotech brakes are great and Larry and MAtt are great people to deal with.
    Hey! I remember that. 1st in the race and 2nd in the enduro with the 1g RX-7. In that car I ran with Hawk Blues front and rear.
    In the Integ, I run blue front and black rear. I've always had pretty good luck with the Hawks. I don't believe you can measure longevity of brake pads as far as how many events you get on a set and so on. What I believe is important is how a set of pads holds up over the duration of a race, sprint or enduro. I for one, like to go in deep(wishful thinking) so I can really abuse a set of pads. I have never had any brake fade or any issues of overheating brakes or fluid. Hawks have been very good to me so I don't forsee changing anytime soon. LRP has HB's in stock and if they don't have what I need then .... http://www.raceshopper.com/hawk_brake_pads.shtml Ed Robinson will take care of you.
    Ray

I run Carbotech pads on my Civic. They seem to last forever and work great no matter how 'used up' they are. I run stock shoes on the rear (poor man's bias control ) I made the huge mistake of trying EBC pads once. They didn't work at all! They were worn down to the backing plate after ONE day at IRP.

------------------
    Matt Downing
    www.downingracing.com

I use Hawk Blue pads on the front and the nismo (ferodo) shoes on the back.

I have been getting close to a season out of the Hawks, and Z's are notoriously tough on brakes. One set of pads will eat up two sets of rotors.

Hawk Blue in front; stock pads in back.

Edit: ITS Nissan NX2000, front-wheel drive, 2490 pounds.

[This message has been edited by grega (edited April 02, 2004).]

DITTO

Front: Hawk Blue.
    Rear: Hawk Black.
    Love them.
    Some of this info can be missleading, we don't always know what car people are running, that can make a big difference, RWD vs FWD Heavy vs Light. Maybe we should all be required to list our cars when we sign off.
    Cheers.
    John Norris
    BMW 352 E36 ITS

Spec RX7 (about 2600 #)

Hawk Blues in front

Hawk Black at the rear (and they are so old i can't remember when I put them on. At least 20 race weekends ago)

Front: Carbotech Panther Plus
    Rear: Carbotech Panther XP

I put the better pads in the back because they have a higher CF to put more bias back there.

I've run 10 race weekend, 2 Enduros, several HPDE's, and an autocross on these over a year and a half and they still have plenty of meat.

That's right. I've been using the same pads and rotors since 2002. And those who race with me know I go in very deep. (however, my car doesn't get going all that fast...)

Jake
    ITA MR2

I have to chime in for the Carbotech bandwagon. I run Panther XP on the front and Panther Plus on the rear on my GSL-SE (RX7) that weighs in at 2530lbs. My fronts are lasting approximately 16 hours at a medium braking track and the rears are lasting at least twice that time. My front rotors get changed out at the start of each season.

Last yesr I measured the new jobber rotor to the old jobber rotor that was being pulled off the car. Only 0.3mm wear...I had to measure a few times to ensure I was reading everything correctly. Ceramic based instead of a semi-mettalic of the Hawk Blue.

Decent initial bite with the XP, not as good as Hawk Blues, but very easy to modulate when pushing hard. I've never had them fade...and I run a 2 hour endurance race each race weekend.

I even went and ordered a set of their Bobcat compound for my truck...but I can't comment on that, I haven't installed them yet.