Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oils of choice

Mobil 1 is your best bang for your $ it seems. Amsoil is a very good oil, but I don't see to much of a difference between it and Mobil 1. The four ball wear test is meaningless in determining wear in an actual engine. Redline and Mobil technical services will tell you this. Redline I think is the best oil for heavy racing. Mobil 1 is great for racing but more suited for daily driving as it is a API certified oil which reduces the amount of ZDDP in an oil.

Yes I am using Mobil 1 15W50 performance formula oil. I am running an 86 Pontiac Fiero with a crappy stock GM oil pump. This is a low rpm engine (6250 rpm red line) and relativly low pressure pump. GM specs 15lb @ hot idle. I get nervous when I see oil pressure that low so 15W50. Brings Idle pressure up above twenty at hot idle. With eight and one half track hours on the engine everything seems fine. I'll change my oil next week and get an analysis to see what is going on in my engine.

Chuck

Chuck

I use Amsoil for the degree of protection it offers over all the other synthetics as well as my own prior experiences... ...and their marketing is primo.....that's why they are still a privately owned company

------------------
    Phil Phillips
    94 Acura Integra GSR #4
    ITS/H3/ST1
    www.philstireservice.com
    Official Independent Amsoil Dealer for the East Coast Honda Challenge
    distributor for FireCharger AFFF fire systems
    Hoosier Tire Dealer
    Toyo Tire Dealer

philstireservice, what Amsoil grade specifically do you run and what specific benefits have you noticed? Used oil analysis? Tear down etc.? Amsoil uses a lot of marketing BS. Very few know this but Amsoil buys their PAO base Stocks from ExxonMobil, who makes most of the group IV and V basestocks out their. The four ball wear test is irrelevant to how well oils will protect inside an actual engine. They make great oils but I think if you go to www.bobistheoilguy.com you'll find they are not the best.

I would like to suggest that if you are using oil analysis to determine which oil is better and adequate change intervals, send a clean new sample to be tested as well.

The spectrochemical analysis that I have had tests for all kinds of cool stuff, but how much moly is in the oil as an additive and how much is wear from your rings? If you don't know how much moly or silicon or whatever is in the oil to start with what have you got?

The literature that came with my analysis results show that Magnesium, Calcium, Barium, Phosphorus, Zinc and Molybdenum are common oil additives.

Results from my Mobil 1 viscosity test show that my 10W30 with 7000 miles on it had an actual viscosity of 10.78 @ 40C.

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited March 21, 2004).]

Quickshoe is right. I can also add that if you look on www.bobistheoilguy.com Mobil 1 shows outstanding results most of the time and it's readily available.

IMO....I have seen many a tear down of my own motors as well as other race motors and street motors and Amsoil has done an excellent job of protection/performance. It has given me and many of my customers many years of quality service. I don't dispute that there are other good synthetics out there, but I believe Amsoil has made a good and durable product that you can use with confidence and corresponding performance to protect what you have invested in your race car or street auto. There are many factors in the decision to use "A" oil or "B" oil...to some degree we are all "marketed" to use what oil we choose. I have personally used Redline, Mobil 1 and Amsoil. I have chosen to continue to use Amsoil based on my findings as well as my customers, competitors, oil analysis and tear down info. It has worked for me......
    I use 10w30
    ------------------
    Phil Phillips
    94 Acura Integra GSR #4
    ITS/H3/ST1
    www.philstireservice.com
    Official Independent Amsoil Dealer for the East Coast Honda Challenge
    distributor for FireCharger AFFF fire systems
    Hoosier Tire Dealer
    Toyo Tire Dealer

[This message has been edited by philstireservice (edited March 22, 2004).]

It looks like oil is one of those issues like religion and politics.

Here is a long, detailed, semi-scientific and empirical study of various oils and additives. It is also a good read.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories...s/oil-life.html

Personally, I use Mobil 1 15-50 in the Rabbit. Change about twice during the season along with an oem filter.

Have fun.

Dave Z