Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oils of choice

Default Oils of choice

Hi guys, I did a search but I couldn't find anything on oils. Is their a preference between Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1 products? Thanks!

I think you'll find it comes down to personal preference. Last year I used Mobil 1 and my engine looked great when it came apart. This year, though, I haven't been spending enough money, so I'm going to try RedLine.

I know a lot of people are happy with Amsoil, however I question some of their marketing data and techniques. As a results, I have never considered them for my car.

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Any oil will work, as long as you change it every race.

I have used Kendall, both their synthentic and non-synthetic and haven't have an oil based problem in years.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

I used to be an Amsoil "salesman" and we would always do the battery of demonstrations at car shows and stuff.

I learned that (a) Kendall was the best performing in terms of high-temperature viscosity maintanance and that ( Amsoil was expensive. Castrol got THICKER with repeated high-heat cyclings.

I now use Kendall dead sea life oil.

K

Years ago, I had a big end rod knock on my 911 that would only occur after a really warm drive, followed by a long shut down. Sounded like a hammer was loose inside, but it went away after 5 seconds or so as the bearing got oil. Only happened every few months, but it was nerve racking.

As a broke designer at the time, the thousands for a rebuild weren't available, so I did the next best thing. Redline sythetic. As a 911 takes a good case of oil at every change, it wasn't totally cheap, but I never heard that noise again!

My previous oils had been the usual "high end" Valvoline, Kendall and Penzoils.

Now I use Mobil 1, as my sponsor carries it.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Would you guys say that Amsoil is more "popular" over all? I agree, some of their marketing and testing is questionable. Mobil 1 now has a new Racing oil, Mobil 1 R 0w-30 with boosted anti-wear additives and is used by actual NASCAR teams.

Check it out. http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp

[This message has been edited by vincenzo (edited March 18, 2004).]

You are going to get a ton of opinions on this and here is mine:

Any oil WILL NOT do. The ability of synthetics to withstand the heat some engines run at is critical. I am a Mobil 1 die-hard but YMMV. Run you oil temp past 350 degrees and see what oil is left standing...

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Do a search for 'Bob the Oil Guy'

Very interesting website! Lots of discussion in the forum section about oil types, filters, additives, etc.

The one comment they made about Redline is that it did have a higher amount of a specific additive (higher zinc content maybe?? can't remember)that protects the engine in the event of oil breakdown. Also much discussion on base stocks, general dino oil and synthetics.

I figure it's like chicken soup......can't hurt!

Supposedly the new Valvoline Racing synthetic is supposed to be good, but can't be used in a street car because the additives are harmful to emissions controls.
    It's not available from normal parts huts or wally world.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited March 18, 2004).]

I agree, synthetics are important especially in high temperature situations. The new Mobil 1 Racing oil looks very good. Thanks guys.

[This message has been edited by vincenzo (edited March 18, 2004).]

Dick Elliott Guest

Go to Dave Williams site at http://angelfire.com/ar/dw42/index.htm then go to short tech notes, then to oil and lubrication to learn more about oil than any one person has the right to know. This guy writes articles for mags like Circle Track and Stock Car. Be forwarned though, his site is very long. Great reading though.His own prefence is diesel oil because of less adatives.Also tell's it like it is about oil adds. Read it/you'll like it.

The one Amsoil product worth mentioning is their racing synthetic grease.

Other than that, I'll stick with Mobil 1 for oil (except on initial break-ins which get Kendall straight 30 weight).

Cheers.

Originally posted by racer_tim:
    Any oil will work, as long as you change it every race.

IMHO, a tremendous waste of oil, especially for an IT engine.

I am a big fan of Kendall GT-1 for ohead cam engines, although we ran Mobil 1 with great success as well in our ARRC winning 240Z.

------------------
    katman

Originally posted by kthomas:
    IMHO, a tremendous waste of oil, especially for an IT engine.
    Although I agree to a point, the $20 per oil change with Mobil 1 is a SMALL price to pay for piece of mind for a critical piece of the pie.

I am from the 'better safe that sorry' school of thought - especially with an engine worth over $3500 - and that is CHEAP compared to some of the stuff out there.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region

I got talked into using Lubrication Engineer's oil, the allegedly "best" petroleum based oil. It ain't cheap -- $7 a quart, but I've been happy with it, although I don't have enough experience under the belt to tell if it has reduced wear or not.

Anyone heard of this stuff or use it?

I just did a search on the new Mobil racing oil. $41.16 a quart. I guess I'll stick with Mobil 1 15W50.

Chuck
    ITA Fiero #34

Originally posted by 88YB1:
    I just did a search on the new Mobil racing oil. $41.16 a quart. I guess I'll stick with Mobil 1 15W50.

Chuck
    ITA Fiero #34
    That is for a 6-pack case. 6.86 per quart.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region

Keith,

What weight Mobil I did y'all use? 15w-50?

Tom

I used Mobil 1 with no problems. Switched to Silkolene last year. The oil and tranny fluid come out as clean as they go in, great stuff.

We use Ray-o-lube or Reclaimo.................................... anyone know theses old brands? Really we use 20w50 Valvoline Racing oe 10W40 Syn Valvoline Later Glenn

Redline in the transaxle.

Mobil 1 in the daily drivers.

Castrol GTX in the race car, motorhome and jeep, which all get a fresh change before every outing.