Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Race built engine - what improvement could be expected?

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    No, there is no way an E-36 is putting 238 down at the wheels! What did they come with stock? 190? At the crank! I think the rumoured 217 is pretty respectable....

IF they did, it would be obvious, as the 7s are putting down what, 180? And THAT'S being optimistic. No way they could even SEE the bimmers after 4 laps if the bimmers were putting down 238!

Well, that's the talk around my town. I really don't know for sure.

At the same time, the same talk is of Spec Miatas (Showroom stock engine rules) with over 120hp at the wheels. I know those numbers are real so who am I to doubt the BMW numbers?
    Just take it as a rumor, I guess.

------------------
    Ony Anglade
    ITA Miata
    Sugar Hill, GA

So what ARE the cam pulley keyway tolerences on a Miata?

With that type of cam drive system (we learned this playing with 16v VWs), a clever person can adjust not only the overall valvetrain advance but the relative rotational position - overlap - between the intake and exhaust cams.

That's a "racing cam" to you and me, Rusty.

What kind of cam drive does the e36 have?

Kirk

(who knows that there is a Mercedes P/N offset cam pulley key that fits the MkII GTI but hasn't purchased one for his MkIII...

How good is the BMW's ECU mapping? Would they/Do they benefit a lot from stuffing a really cool ECU in the stock box?
    Do the 325's have that "VarioCam" deal or is it only the "M"'s?

I think the BMW's were already running away from the RX-7s last year on horsepower tracks. Just for a quick example, look at the ARRC qualifying. The top RX-7 is almost 3 seconds from the pole sitting BMW. And that was last year.

How a Neon, Sentra or Miata is supposed to have a chance at being able to compete with cars putting over 240whp is beyond me.

------------------
    Ony Anglade
    ITA Miata
    Sugar Hill, GA

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    As for ITB, anybody care to toss out some numbers? How about you RST guys....you're being unusually quiet!

I would GUESS that a good ITB number might be 21- 22?

Well it is tough to say since I we have never ever done any dyno time ever on our cars. I would love to but the money equals an entry fee!

I would guess our cars come in around 110HP at the wheels and they weight in at 2490. so That would equal 22.6.

Seems good to me! The cars have a ton of tourque to get you out of the corner as well which helps a ton at places like NHIS or the boot at the glen! I wish we had some real data for you. That's the only reason we didn't post because it is definitely a guess at best.

Stephen

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited February 25, 2004).]

Hmmm. Very interesting! That's about what my Honda Prelude would have if I got a built engine. Stock HP 110; weight 2,450 lbs.

Out of curosity, what type of times do you run at LRP? Not best ever, but typical times? (just curious how far off I am right now)

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Just to clear up some numbers, these are from ACTUAL dyno sheets.

E36 325: 210 WHP
    2nd gen RX-7: 170 WHP

It's tough to estimate crank numbers because everyone uses a different figure for losses.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region #188967

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    Just to clear up some numbers, these are from ACTUAL dyno sheets.

E36 325: 210 WHP
    2nd gen RX-7: 170 WHP
    E36 -> 13.6
    RX-7 -> 15.8

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

[This message has been edited by Eagle7 (edited February 25, 2004).]

at 13.6 I would have said "E36 exceeds performace potential for ITS" if I was awake on the CRB.

Originally posted by 7'sRracing:
    at 13.6 I would have said "E36 exceeds performace potential for ITS" if I was awake on the CRB.
    I think you have to take it for granted that they didn't know these motors were capable of this kind of power in IT trim. Actual dyno numbers aren't available at classing time. The 240Z makes 170 at the wheels like the RX-7...

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports

what is touring car trim, isnt that just a blueprinted stock engine?, I have never seen T/C rules so I dont know but I cant believe nobody had a clue that it would be another CRX mistake, going back to working on my EP car before I get worked up.

Originally posted by gran racing:

Out of curosity, what type of times do you run at LRP? Not best ever, but typical times? (just curious how far off I am right now)

Mid to low 105's.... good enough for a run for first anyday.

Thanks for the info.!

Originally posted by 7'sRracing:
    what is touring car trim, isnt that just a blueprinted stock engine?, I have never seen T/C rules so I dont know but I cant believe nobody had a clue that it would be another CRX mistake, going back to working on my EP car before I get worked up.
    Who said anything about Touring Car rules?

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports

Usually the person who makes the request for classification has a pretty good idea about the potential for the car including the availibility of parts(factory or aftermarket). Generally that info is not shared with the SCCA. So the question is how hard did SCCA tech look at the classification request? Would it surprise you to discover that some of the same people involved with CRX's are now involved with BMW's.
    I hate to sound so much like a Rushie or such but been there; done that; and I have the T-shirt.

deleted for stupidity

[This message has been edited by m3ltw (edited February 27, 2004).]