Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: quick and dirty sound deadener removal

Hey Dave,

10 lbs of dry ice pellets.. Did a section, when the cracking stopped, moved the ice to another section and started hammering on the first section.

PaulC

Excuse me, but I don't see where the ITCS allows the removal of sound deading. The stuff I'm refering to it the sprayed goop on underside of the hood, trunk, thunk quarter panels,interior door panels and on the floor boards that is typically painted over. If it's strickly there just as a sound retardant and serves no orher purpose like attaching other parts. Please explain your interpretation.
    Dirty Harry

Harry, ITCS 17.1.4.D.9.f states:

Carpets, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome lights, grab handles, and their insulating, attaching or oprating mechanisims may be removed.

I think the key word here is "insulating". Sound "deadner" is also an insulator, so that's the way I read it.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Go buy a cheap Harbor frieght air chisel with their small collection of chisels. Use the one that is about one inch wide. The rapid vibration and chisel getting under the stuff makes it fly off like crazy. I did my entire car in 1 hour. Be careful you dont punch holes in floor. I did it at about 60 degrees temp.

I removed mine a few weeks ago when the temp was hovering around 10f, It cracked apart when hit with my hammer and flaked right off Sometimes Buffalo winters are an advantage

zracer22 Guest

Maybe BMWs are different, but I removed mine with a propane torch and a 3" puddy knife. I would heat up a 1 square foot area with the torch, and it peeled right off with the puddy knife. I removed 120 pounds of that crap in 1.5 hours and 3 beers.